[SOLVED] My cpu temp are high so I need to replace thermal paste

christhegamer

Reputable
Feb 24, 2016
Hello, I am idling at 35-50 on my i7 4790k cpu and in game 70-86 and on prime95 test my temps went as high as 90-100. I did not change my thermal paste for 6 years and I was told by the technician it could be my thermal paste he said hes about %80 sure. Do you think it could be my thermal paste? Also when I go to remove the heat sink and re apply the thermal paste what should I do to cut off power from psu. Should I just unplug it from the wall or do I need to do more? My friend told me unplugging it from the wall will be sufficient but I read some places you should unplug power from the motherboard. I am sorry I am not a very smart person and computer stuff is confusing for me any help will be greatly appreciated <3... My computers build is a i7 4790k gtx msi 970 16gb

Solution
Clearly you need to replace your thermal paste.
First at all get a good quality one then follow these steps:
1- Unplug power
2- Turn off PSU
3- Touch a metal surface to get rid of any static electricity in your body
4- Remove the CPU cooler
5- Gently, clean any paste leftovers off CPU and cooler using a cloth and rubbing alcohol
6- Apply new thermal paste, best way is to have a dot at the center of the CPU, the dot should be the size of a grain of rice
7- Mount the cooler and make sure it's perfectly seated
8- And that is it!
6 years without changing the thermal paste is a long time. It's probably no longer a paste but just a solid rock at this point. I agree with your technician, it's probably the thermal paste.

You can unplug the PSU connector from the motherboard, just look at the connectors going from the PSU and find the one that goes to the Mobo and pull it out. Taking the connector off is to ensure 100% safety and I think that's good. Don't over do the thermal paste, and make sure it's a good quality thermal paste.

You can see how to correctly apply thermal paste at Gamers Nexus, a YT Channel. They go in depth with it, you shouldn't have trouble finding the video.

poorbugger

Distinguished
Just turn off the psu and unplug from the wall will be enough. Make sure you're not standing on carpeted floors during changing the thermal paste to avoid static charge. Before your apply the new paste, take a can of compressed air and blow your system to get rid of the dust. Dont go too hard or else you'll break your components.

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
Clearly you need to replace your thermal paste.
First at all get a good quality one then follow these steps:
1- Unplug power
2- Turn off PSU
3- Touch a metal surface to get rid of any static electricity in your body
4- Remove the CPU cooler
5- Gently, clean any paste leftovers off CPU and cooler using a cloth and rubbing alcohol
6- Apply new thermal paste, best way is to have a dot at the center of the CPU, the dot should be the size of a grain of rice
7- Mount the cooler and make sure it's perfectly seated
8- And that is it!

Solution