Question My cpu underclocks like hell when i start playing

So i started to notice while playing a game my cpu (that is rated at 2.5ghz) it underclock's to 1.0-1.5ghz.

I'm not completely sure but i think it shouldn't be because of thermal throttling, because when i start my laptop the cpu runs at 3.1ghz while the temps are almost the same.

So is there anyone that could help me with this?

It could also be because of thermal throttling because the cpu runs at 96C, but i have my doubts of that because it has run at that temp before and it ran fine at 3.1ghz.

Hope someone can help me, thanks in advance.

Came back to add that also usage drops by about 10-30% while playing.

Full system spec? include make and model of the psu
What the cpu/gpu temp and usage during the game?
what game? what resolution?
It's not a desktop i said in the post that it's a laptop and it's an acer nitro 5 and that's why i was thinking that it may be thermal throttling.

The specs are: CPU I5 7300hq
Gpu Gtx 1050ti
Ram 16gb

The game i was playing where i noticed this was world of tanks and i was playing on max settings.

The cpu temp as i said is in the high 90 and the gpu temp is somewhere in 60 region.

Came back again to this one and i just did a 5 minute stress test with the intel extreme utility tool and i noticed that when the clock speed went to 3+ghz it thermal throttled and it dropped to about 2.5ghz and then the temp dropped and it upped the clock speed again, so is it possible for me to lock my cpu clock speed to one speed so that it doesn't thermal throttle.

Last edited:

MCMunroe

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
It may not be Thermal throttling. Of course you could check by running Intel XTU or ADA64 or any other monitoring software.
That being said: Often notebooks are set up to have a total power budget. That is if just using the CPU it will run at the full TDP, but if you turn on the discrete graphics the power needs to be shared and the CPU may run with a much lower current budget.
Intel XTU will flash a throttle ON/OFF if this is the case.

For some games this shouldn't be too bad as you are likely GPU bound anyway. Still does not put a smile on ones face. I personally often use both GPU and CPU at 100%.

It may not be Thermal throttling. Of course you could check by running Intel XTU or ADA64 or any other monitoring software.
That being said: Often notebooks are set up to have a total power budget. That is if just using the CPU it will run at the full TDP, but if you turn on the discrete graphics the power needs to be shared and the CPU may run with a much lower current budget.
Intel XTU will flash a throttle ON/OFF if this is the case.

For some games this shouldn't be too bad as you are likely GPU bound anyway. Still does not put a smile on ones face. I personally often use both GPU and CPU at 100%.
Well then is it possible to up the power budget.

Chasingfaith

Reputable
May 7, 2016
It's not a desktop i said in the post that it's a laptop and it's an acer nitro 5 and that's why i was thinking that it may be thermal throttling.

The specs are: CPU I5 7300hq
Gpu Gtx 1050ti
Ram 16gb

The game i was playing where i noticed this was world of tanks and i was playing on max settings.

The cpu temp as i said is in the high 90 and the gpu temp is somewhere in 60 region.
Your cpu is designed to start throttling once it reaches 100c. Seeing that your temps are extremely high, I suspect that your problem is caused by thermal throttling. This also explains why your clock speed is normal directly after starting your laptop.

You might want to change your paste/ check your cooler and see if that fixes your problem

Your cpu is designed to start throttling once it reaches 100c. Seeing that your temps are extremely high, I suspect that your problem is caused by thermal throttling. This also explains why your clock speed is normal directly after starting your laptop.

You might want to change your paste/ check your cooler and see if that fixes your problem
I was considering re pasting my laptop but the problem is that i don't have any thermal paste and also i'am not that confident in my skills to open up the laptop.
I watched a video on youtube about opening this laptop up and it didn't seem too hard but i'm still not confident.

THpapi

Reputable
Mar 27, 2019
You could try increasing the fan speed as well. They probably have a graph where you can adjust the fan curve on your laptop or change it from a quiet mode to a performance mode.