My custom built computer does not work without CPU should I be concerned?

pcnoobege

Reputable
Jan 11, 2016
Hey guys. I wanted to test my system before I get a CPU. I wired all the cables to my brand new motherboard (AsRock z97 anniversary) from my PSU (FSP 700w) I have ram 1 stick 8gb in channel 1 and all front pannels connected for my NZXT s340. I plug in the power supply turn it on press the case button and nothing happens. Should be concerned?

Solution
There are a few boards that will allow you to flash a bios without a cpu(your is not one of them), and some that may power fans and lights without a CPU but that doesn't mean they are working. To properly test if a board is working you need a cpu, atleast 1 stick of ram, power, and a gpu(either integrated or dedicated).

pcnoobege

Reputable
Jan 11, 2016

First of all thanks for taking time and replying mate,

Is it because of my mobo? because i have seen some videos and in come cases some pcs and mobs work without CPU. My fans for PSU and case doesn't even work.

bignastyid

Titan
There are a few boards that will allow you to flash a bios without a cpu(your is not one of them), and some that may power fans and lights without a CPU but that doesn't mean they are working. To properly test if a board is working you need a cpu, atleast 1 stick of ram, power, and a gpu(either integrated or dedicated).

Solution

pcnoobege

Reputable
Jan 11, 2016

Thanks mate! You have relieved me a bit. I will test it with a CPU in about a month.