Question My D key doesn't work (sometimes E and S as well)

DeathLord29

Prominent
Jul 26, 2019
2 days ago I noticed that my "D" key started skipping and not responding as it should, I plugged it in my laptop and it was the same. Today I noticed that my "E" "S" and "D" key were doing the same (2 days ago "E" and "S" worked perfectly), so I somehow found out that blowing into them makes them work for a few minutes and then they start skipping and not responding again. Two days ago I cleaned it and took all the keycaps off and washed them with a cloth, but I made sure all of them were completely dry before I returned them. For now I left it upside down on a piece of paper and I will see what happends. My keyboard is Redragon Aryaman K569. It says the switches can be replaced and my LEDS work perfectly on all 3 switches. Any ideas what should I do? You guys think it's a board problem? I think it's either something really small inside them or somehow water got into it. Thanks

EDIT : I still have the warranty, but I was thinking because I have a numpad I don't use I could replace those 3 switches with those ones. Also thought maybe I could buy a can of Compressed air and then blow into it. Let me know of your thoughts. All help appreciated.

EDIT 2: Fast forward almost 2 months, and the problem is back, I didn't use my warranty as I legit used a vacuum cleaner and sticked it to the key and it worked....until now. Now "S" and "D" are having the same issues but now it's actually not as annoying as it isn't always like it, usually when I hold the button it dodges the click and skips a bit. This time vacuum didn't help so warranty it is. I'll see what happens but I doubt it they will accept it.

Last edited:
Likely crap in the switches but, if you have a warranty, you shouldn't be messing around with replacing them.

Don't void your warranty. Replace the keyboard as a unit.

For the most part, the only keyboards that I repair are the keyboards that I've built myself (because I already have the parts in my inventory). All other consumer-level keyboards (and mice/trackballs) are limited lifetime consumable products.

DeathLord29

Prominent
Jul 26, 2019
My plan is to use my warranty, even if they don't replace my keyboard I will at least know what's wrong and I'll see what can I do about it. I would try with some compressed air first and then if nothing else works the switches itself. The keyboard is around 5 months old, is this what's going to happen every 5 months or so?

If it's crap in the keyboard....probably, unless you do something about the environment the keyboard is in.

If you do the compressed air thing, you still have a warranty.

If you even disassemble the keyboard to try to replace the switches, you have no more warranty.

I am not aware of keyboards having switches that can be replaced without de-soldering the old switch, and soldering-in a new switch unit; so, if you aren't familiar with how to accomplish both tasks, don't bother disassembling the keyboard.

Actually, your combined statements and questions lead me to believe that disassembling the keyboard is a VERY BAD IDEA. No offense intended.

Just replace it under warranty if sir blasting doesn't do it for you.

DeathLord29

Prominent
Jul 26, 2019
Thanks for the response, I'll see what's going to happen, I hope for a replacement, I saw loads of videos on YouTube of people just taking out and putting in new switches without opening the keyboard itself. So If I want to replace the switches I have to desolder and solder them back in?

DeathLord29

Prominent
Jul 26, 2019
Btw on the site it says "user replaceable key switches Blue/Red" , does that mean anything special except the fact that switches can be replaced with blue or red ones?

I haven't looked at that particular keyboard but, if they actually put-together a keyboard with "user-replaceable switches" (of course, if the user has soldering equipment, EVERYTHING is "user-replaceable" in my book) that you just snap out and in, I would have a look at the electrical interface below the keyboard deck, between the switch and the PC board--you might even have issues right there.

However, from your statements, it does sound like you might be able to casually replace the switches; and, if so, it's definitely worth a shot.

Neat idea, but there have been loads of neat ideas that die after real world use (in many cases, much to my own chagrin). I'll have to give it a deeper look, sometime...probably after I learn to read Thai. ;)

Though ฿1,590.00 is a reasonable price for a keyboard....about $51.00 US.

Last edited: