My desktop power button won't work

BNWilliams007

Reputable
Nov 2, 2015
Hello, I'm having issues with my computer system. I installed a few components today including a new mouse, keyboard, optical drive, HDD, and LED lights. However, when I try powering my computer using the power button, it won't turn on. I noticed that however when I have the I/O switch set to on in the back, my motherboard and keyboard light up but the power button nor the reset button will not work at all. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix this?

Here is a list of my components if that helps: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/BNWilliams007/saved/Yg2CmG

Thank you for your time.

Solution
Yes I guess that would rule out the PSU... just be carefull when pressing that power switch that you don't touch anything else and always take ElectoStatic Discharge (ESD) precautions by touching the PC case before pressing the switch. And to remove the need to keep the case open, you could use Sleep Mode to awake the computer with the keyboard or mouse.

Another solution, one that I would take in such situation, would be adapting a small push button switch such as those you can find at a hardware store or electronics shop (see the examples), just make sure it's the momentary push-on type (not the lock-on type or the push-off & release-on type). You could install that type of switch somewhere on the case where it's not prone to...
Sounds to me like the power button may be stuck down. If you for instance press the power button and hold it pressed, the computer will shut off... and if you remove the power button connector from the motherboard front panel power button pins, then jump those two pins with a small screwdriver or paper clip and hold it on, the computer will start and shutdown after a few seconds. The power switch may be doing this if it's stuck down or shorted out. There is also the possibility this may be caused by the PSU, read point 4 for description.

To diagnose the power button;
1. remove the power button two wire connector from the mobo header

2. using a small screwdriver or paper clip, hair pin, etc., jump the two header pins touching them for a second or two.

3. If the computer stays running, you will have to replace the power button
https://www.amazon.com/HDE-Power-Button-Computer-Switch/dp/B009CWY8PA

4. If that doesn't help, try a different PSU. When you press the front panel power button, a signal is sent to the PSU and it switches on... this internal PSU switch may be damaged.

5. If the power switch turns out to be the cause, leave it disconnected while you wait for a new replacement power switch to arrive. You can start the computer jumping the mobo header power button pins, and if you don't want to do this everytime to turn the computer on, allow it to go into sleep mode instead of shutting it down, and awake it with the mouse or keyboard.

BNWilliams007

Reputable
Nov 2, 2015
Thank you so much for your response. Like you mentioned, I believe that it is the possibility of the power button being stuck is the problem. I'll show my step father your suggestions since he has more experience at diagnosing computer hardware than I do. I hope we will be able to fix it because I don't believe that I can RMA the PC case since I bought it off EBay.

There is also the possibility it's the PSU and that needs to be ruled out before replacing the power button.

So, start by removing the power button/switch connector from the mobo header and jump starting the computer as adviced before; This would test both the power button/switch and the PSU internal switch;
a) If the computer stays running normally, replace the power button/switch.
b) If the computer shutsdown, try a different PSU, starting the computer with the power button.

If it turns out to be the power button, yes it would be better to replace it, rather than RMAing the case (even if you could)... Advantages: you wouldn't have to stop using the computer during the time the case goes back and a new one arrives, and you'd save on the shipping fees... no to mention avoiding the computer disassembly and reassembly which may not be something you'd enjoy doing.

Replacing the switch involves:
1. Disconnecting the power button connector from the mobo header
2. Removing the plastic front panel which is attatched to the case with screws or locking plastic tabs.
3. Removing the power switch from the front panel power button assembly. You may have to force it out breaking the retaining glue. Most switches are the same size and shape so replacing it shouldn't pose a fitting problem and if it does, it wont be nothing a little glue can't take care of.

BNWilliams007

Reputable
Nov 2, 2015
I wanted to mention though regarding your suggestion of jumping starting the computer. My Asus Z170 Deluxe Motherboard has a Power and Reset button on it already. I'm able to turn the PC and it runs just fine if I use the power button on the motherboard. Would that then, rule out the possibility that the PSU is at fault then?

Yes I guess that would rule out the PSU... just be carefull when pressing that power switch that you don't touch anything else and always take ElectoStatic Discharge (ESD) precautions by touching the PC case before pressing the switch. And to remove the need to keep the case open, you could use Sleep Mode to awake the computer with the keyboard or mouse.

Another solution, one that I would take in such situation, would be adapting a small push button switch such as those you can find at a hardware store or electronics shop (see the examples), just make sure it's the momentary push-on type (not the lock-on type or the push-off & release-on type). You could install that type of switch somewhere on the case where it's not prone to accidental activation... and some are nice and flush so they can be placed anywhere and even replace the dead switch if you can find one in the right size to fit the front panel... attaching the old switch's wires can easily be done. And the best part is most of these heavy duty switches will never suffer the same damage.

Solution
Jan 30, 2019