Question My Display resolution is locked

MiranaSky

Prominent
Apr 27, 2020
Hope someone can help me out. I've asked everyone I personally know about their opinions, all they said was the issue of my system is weird,

Here are the problematic system's specs-
  • Processor: Ryzen 3 3200g
  • Motherboard: a320m pro
  • GPU: RX 570 8gb
  • RAM: 16gb (2x8 gb) DDR4 2400mhz
  • Power supply: 500w
Let me list the events that happened.
  1. My friend asked me to fix her PC. I used my system's components to know what parts of her computer were faulty.
  2. We installed a new GPU (NVIDIA GTX 1060 6gb) on her PC and I used my monitor (LG Flatron 24-inch LED 1920x1080 60hz) as well since she didn't bring hers.
  3. Finally fixed her problem so I assembled my system unit again. I turned it on and I didn't get any display.
  4. My LG monitor kept going to Power Saving mode. But my PC was booting fine (I checked if capslock and numlock were working and they did)
  5. I tried reseating RAM, GPU, and CMOS Battery, but nothing worked. I didn't reseat the processor since I don't know how to do that yet.
  6. Then, I borrowed my husband's monitor (Nvision 24inches curved IPS 1920x1080 75hz) and there was a display. It worked perfectly with no problems.
  7. While my system was still turned on, I swapped it back to the LG monitor. The resolution was stuck at 640x480. The Display Resolution was greyed out. It can't be adjusted.
  8. Then, we plugged in the LG monitor to my husband's PC, and it worked just fine.
  9. We did all kinds of troubleshooting options that we could Google and nothing worked. (reinstalling and rolling back GPU drivers, using DDU at safe mode, and even AMD Adrenalin's custom resolution, etc)

• We have tried booting safe mode using the LG monitor and it was working fine.
  • We tried resetting Windows and still the same problem (no display, power saving mode, resolution stuck at 640x480)
  • We have tried booting my system using the Nvision monitor and then swapping with another monitor (see other monitor models tried below) while the system was still on. The resolution was still stuck at 640x480.
  • We also tried checking if there's an issue with the monitors' settings. But there were no problems.
  • I tried swapping my RAM with my husband and all RAMs are working fine.
10. We finally decided to buy a new monitor. First, we bought an NEC 27-inch (PA271W) and tried connecting using a display port cable. It didn't show any display (just went to power saving mode).
We did several attempts and sometimes the monitor will have a display, but the resolution was stuck at 640x480.

11. Then, we got a Dell 24-inch IPS monitor (U2412M) connected using HDMI cable, still didn't work (no display).
We did several attempts and sometimes the monitor will have a display, but the resolution was stuck at 640x480.

---------

We tried using different cables, still didn't work.

We tried plugging into different power outlets, still didn't work.

The only monitor that works for my system unit until now is the Nvision monitor. (NOTE: the Dell, LG, and Nvision monitors have identical native resolutions. Dell and Nvision were 75hz capacities set to 60hz.

All monitors are working for my husband's system unit. (He is also using a Ryzen processor with a GTX 1070)

We tried plugging in two monitors at the same time. Only the Nvision has a display OR the other monitor stuck at 640x480 (we did several attempts of this)

NOTE: We didn't swap any other parts besides the RAMs because my PC was working perfectly fine together with the Nvision monitor. I can still play games and work using my PC. But it's uncomfortable to be stuck using 1 monitor and I am aware that the issue hasn't been resolved.

Hope anyone could help.

Last edited:
if after swapping displays & cables, wiping and reinstalling GPU drivers & settings, and reinstalling Windows the issue persists,
i would surmise it is an issue with your GPU.

one more thing you can try is downloading the specific monitor's drivers from LG and see if that helps the system recognize the display and it's proper settings.

MiranaSky

Prominent
Apr 27, 2020
if after swapping displays & cables, wiping and reinstalling GPU drivers & settings, and reinstalling Windows the issue persists,
i would surmise it is an issue with your GPU.

one more thing you can try is downloading the specific monitor's drivers from LG and see if that helps the system recognize the display and it's proper settings.

Thank you for the suggestion. We can the monitor driver fix, but if this is the case, we would need to try downloading all the other monitors' specific drivers as well to check if they would work as well.

We have tried connecting 4 monitors and even our LED TV to my system unit. Only the Nvision monitor works correctly.

Is there any way to determine if the GPU is faulty? I can still play graphic-heavy games without any issues using the Nvision monitor.

Well, I don't want to settle for it to just work. I want to know what the problem is and what caused it so if ever it happens again in the future, we will know how to fix it and we could prevent it from happening again.