My experience - There is no such thing as Technical Support from ASRock

TrufflesG

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
I have tried my best to submit support tickets to ASRock for the issues I'm having.

IF and WHEN I ever do luck out and get a response, it's usually non helpful and seems almost as if they have some kid somewhere who knows a little about computers answering the questions for maybe a quarter per answer or something like that.

Dismal. Basically, I would say that there is no such thing as Technical Support with ASRock products except that you might get from helpful people on forums such as this.

Is there any way to PAY people on forums who take the time to help and resolve issues.

I would have no problem at all paying for help that resolved my issues. You get what you pay for and time is money. I've already wasted so much time trying to chase down the demons with my new build. Resolved a few, but many remain.

bigwoofer

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
What are the problems you're having? In my experience, if you think the issue could be caused by a faulty stick of ram, motherboard, cpu, or power supply, it's usually the power supply.

Also try eliminating things until you can take away nothing else (have 4 sticks of ram? Take 3 out. Using a video card? Take it out if you have onboard video. Using a sound card? Take it out and use onboard audio).

In the meantime let us know the experience you're having. We volunteer, no need to pay.

mcconkeymike

Distinguished
I'm sorry you've had problems with Asrock, I had good luck when I had to RMA a motherboard. Perhaps you just got stuck with new people. As bigwoofer said, explain your issues and list your hardware and we'll see if we can help.

ASRock doesn't sell motherboards directly to the end user. Your vendor/dealer is the one that should be providing support for the product that they sold to you. Your vendor/dealer should be the one contacting ASRock on your behalf if the vendor/dealer is unable to resolve the problem.

TrufflesG

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
Thanks for the kind replies.

I just bought the following....
ASRock A320M-DGS Mainboard
2 x Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 8GB RAM
AMD AM4 A10-9700 CPU
WD 1TB hard drive
And I already had a OCZGSX700 ATX Power Supply

The system powers up and everything kinda works but the big problem I'm having right now
is that when I try to install an OS, it bogs down and gets REALLY slow (I'm not sure if it has stopped or not)

An analogy would be like I'm trying to drain a bathtub of water.....through a needle. Like there a bottleneck somewhere in the pipelines and data just won't move.

There are no errors, no BSCO, nothing...it seems everything is ok but it either slows to a crawl (we're talking 8088 processor slow)
Sometimes it seems if I leave it for an hour or more, it renders another line on the screen

In BIOS, everything looks good....temps are (now) fine below 60C

Hard drive is recognized....memory is recognized....everything looks good. I simply can't install an OS because it seems to come to a crawling stop within the first two minutes or so.

Here's what I've tried.....

BIOS update to latest BIOS
Different hard drives
Removing one stick or RAM.
Checking ALL the connections (for the umpth time)
Different CD ROM drives (although they are older drives)
Unplugging everything EXCEPT what is absolutely needed
Contacting ASRock Tech support (total waste of time)

I'm pretty much at the end of my knowledge as to what to try now.
RMAing the board is all I can think of

TrufflesG

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011

Yes...it goes good at first, then slows and finally stops

Interesting note.....
On the original BIOS firmware, it ran hot. Like at IDLE it would hit 72C

I updated the BIOS to one newer version and the temps skyrocketed climbing past 81C pretty quick so I would shut it off.

But it didn't really "FEEL" that hot so I took a chance and upgraded one more BIOS to the latest version and now the temps are great. Stabilizes at around 60C and my laser thermometer confirms it is running MUCH cooler. I thought that was gonna fix the other problem...but it didn't

TrufflesG

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011

Thanks KO,
I don't have Win10.
I have Windows 7 and Ubuntu 16.04.

Both do the same thing when I try ti install either one so I don't think it matters whats on the DVD.

TrufflesG

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
I wish there was some sort of diagnostic I could download that would test hard drive transfer rate, bus data transfer rates etc and show any problems like that.

It really feels like a data pipeline is pinched (so to speak). Like the buffers are getting overwhelmed and things back up until it grinds to a halt. As if there is a problem with the data transport process as it tries to travel from the DVD to the hard drive......
(I'm speculating) :)

TrufflesG

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011

Thanks
Specifications for this CPU set max running temps at 90C

Even 80C is within tolerable operating specs (according to AMD on this CPU)

Now that I'e done a BIOS update, it's staying at or below 59C

You think that running at 59C could be causing these issues? I'm asking because I really don't know. I just looked up the temp specs for the CPU.

Microsoft allows you to create your own copy of the Windows 10 installation media. You don't need a Windows 10 key to test the install.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10?d2784474-fdb0-4e9d-9e47-5e88c0e053ec=True

Put it on a USB flash drive instead of an optical disc.

If its at 59c in bios then yes mate I do.

You can add 30c onto that at 100% load (which will happen installing an os).

Tjat puts it past the safety threshold & close to throttling temps.

Should be absolutely no more than 40c while sat in bios & to me personally closer to 30c.

TrufflesG

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011

Ok, in that case overheating would explain it and it's actually the explanation I wanted to accept from the beginning.

Here's the odd thing I wish you could explain.....

When I go to install the OS, I closely monitor temps with a laser thermometer.
Temps do NOT rise at all.
In fact....the moment I go to install an OS, the CPU and other chips and VR's on the MB starts COOLING DOWN.

At no point do I ever detect a situation where it's getting hotter.
This is REALLY strange to me.

TrufflesG

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011

Cool. I will.
I've heard that Windows 10 you have no choice for updates and it's really aggravating. True?

Temp drops make 100% absolute sense.
Cpu core hits Tjmax

Board throttles cpu for safety
cpu voltage drops to .7v
clocks drop to 1400mhz.

Both cpu & vrm set experience big voltage drop,temps drop accordingly.

Absolutely normal to me.
Something has to be wrong with the cooler install,its not transferring heat properly to the heatsink.

There is an option where you can tell Windows 10 that you're using a metered internet connection and that will alleviate the non-essential updates from occurring. Critical updates will always happen.

TrufflesG

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011

Believe me....this is the answer I've been looking for. I've had doubts about this heat issue since I got it.
But I'm still confused.

I measure the temps with a laser thermometer and then begin the install process.
I never detect ANY increase in temps? Wouldn't temps have to go up before it could cause a problem?
Or are you saying they can spike so fast that the cooler never has a chance to dissipate the heat?

Just to be sure, I removed the CPU and cleaned the surfaces then added a pea sized drop of thermal paste right on the heat line on the cpu then re-installed. I do feel the heat sink get nice and warm.

Is this to say it's impossible for the heat sink that AMD supplies with their CPU's to have any chance to work?

Mind you, I'm NOT challenging what you're saying and it's what I think is causing the problem.....I just don't see how.

TrufflesG

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011

ah. thanks

TrufflesG

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011

Well,

NEW Mainboard (ASRock AB350M Pro4)
NEW Cooling system (Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO)

SAME problem

Definitely was not a heat related issue

The majority of the problems with the AM4 platform have been with system memory compatibility.

Look at all of the BIOS updates for that motherboard. They are mainly AMD Generic Encapsulated Software Architecture (AGESA) updates. AGESA involves initialization of the processor cores, memory, and the HyperTransport controller.

What is the Corsair model number for your DDR4 DIMMs?

If there is poor conductivity between the CPU and the cooler, you can point your IR thermostat at the cooler all day long and won't see it get warm. The heat isn't getting out of the CPU into the cooler.

If you can point your IR thermostat at the CPU itself, the cooler is installed wrong.

Did you remove the plastic cover over the thermal paste before installing the cooler?

60C is way to high for idling. Assuming a 30C ambient in the case, that's a delta-T of 30C, and at 5W idle draw (pulling numbers out of thin air), 6C/W thermal resistance. If full load is 50W ish, you'd see a 300C delta, which obviously isn't going to happen without throttling.

A more normal install would have ~0.5C/W, so idle at delta of 2.5C (32.5C), full load of 55C (25C delta T).

The 90C rating is absolute maximum, and the CPU will begin to throttle long before that.