[SOLVED] My First Build! Feedback?

Aug 22, 2020
Hello! I'm a beginner PC gamer and enthusiast.
I recently finished my first rig! And I wanted to share it with some friends in the community!
Are there any suggestions/tips/upgrades I should consider?

(I don't have any images yet, will take some photos soon!)

ヾ(≧▽≦*)o
Specs:
CPU:
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor
MOBO: Asus PRIME B450M-A/CSM Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 CL16 Memory
HDD: Western Digital Blue 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
SSD (M.2): Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
GPU: XFX Radeon RX 570 8 GB Video Card
CASE: Corsair Carbide 175R RGB ATX Mid Tower Case
PSU: Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

Solution
-slow 5400rpm drive, presumably for the game library.
-expensive Samsung drive really stands out from the rest of your build. Could've gotten something more affordable and just as good, and spent that difference on a cpu cooler, faster HDD, better psu, etc...
-cooling potential is low. Carbide 175R has just 1 preinstalled fan in the rear, and the top-down cpu coolers work best in chassis with side intakes due to how they work.
7/10.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
-expensive Samsung drive really stands out from the rest of your build. Could've gotten something more affordable and just as good, and spent that difference on a cpu cooler, faster HDD, better psu, etc...
-cooling potential is low. Carbide 175R has just 1 preinstalled fan in the rear, and the top-down cpu coolers work best in chassis with side intakes due to how they work.
7/10.

Solution

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
7/10.
I must agree with Phaaz88 on his two points the case and the slow 5400RPM hard drive. The Carbide 175r is a very old model. Either try a newer model or just go with a Fractal Design as you can't go wrong with those cases. Also your spending so little on a CPU yet so much on a M.2 drive. Those 970 Evo drives cost a arm and a leg. Also your buying a good PSU FYI and alto not the tier models it will get the job done, however I sorta recommend going 650w if you can for future video card upgrade purposes and what not. Also once again your spending good money on a great video card but so little on a CPU. It is only 6 core and no SMT I believe on that model. Your going to eat dirt in the future and really eat dirt when you want to upgrade your video card in a couple years as your PSU will be iffy and your CPU can barely handle a 5700XT let alone a brand new card in however many years from now. I always tell people go future proof. TLDR 🙈

A 6 core 6 thread processor is not future proof. Also no reason to buy a Samsung 970 Evo that is over priced. Grab another brand and you will be fine. Also FYI a SSSD and a M.2 alto in benchmarks the M.2 is over 2500mbps and SSD is 500mbps there is no real world performance difference. Only if your running RAID or NAS or you copy from one M.2 to another M.2 will you see the difference in speed and that won't be a great deal either in the real world. Im not saying don't get a M.2 as it is a tiny form factor and is usually your best bet to put your OS on it and apps and games and data. But in the future just grab a SSD if you need more storage. TBH it is a good system you build but I would sketch out the CPU and 970 Evo and the money you save from not buying a overpriced Evo you can spend on a 8 core CPU like the 3800x or maybe even a 3700x. Then get a 650w PSU same model just more wattage for your future video card unless you plan on sticking with the 5700XT for 10 years or something like that. Also for the case once again I must agree with the above guru it is a very old model and at that time Corsair had just started building cases ya know. Anyhow good luck and let us know what you decide. ☮😷🙈🤷‍♀️🚲

It is only 6 core and no SMT I believe on that model.

A 6 core 6 thread processor is not future proof.

Both of these statements are incorrect. The 2600 is a 6 core 12 thread processor.

So to the OP, you're not going to "eat dirt" in the future, your build is pretty good and will run most games well at reasonably decent settings at 1080p. You might want to think about trying to clock that RAM up to at least 3000Mhz as Ryzen likes RAM bandwidth. Also be looking to upgrade power supply if ever you do decide to step up to a more powerful graphics card than the one you currently have.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Both of these statements are incorrect. The 2600 is a 6 core 12 thread processor.

So to the OP, you're not going to "eat dirt" in the future, your build is pretty good and will run most games well at reasonably decent settings at 1080p. You might want to think about trying to clock that RAM up to at least 3000Mhz as Ryzen likes RAM bandwidth. Also be looking to upgrade power supply if ever you do decide to step up to a more powerful graphics card than the one you currently have.
Im sorry man I was harsh to him, I have that issue to be that way only because I care about the future. As that will come and I hate people haven't to dismantle their entire case and buy every new part again like PSU which could have been avoid and mobo and so on. It is a matter of not cheaping out unless they go to university or have their own place and every penny counts. Then ya I was in the wrong John Chesterfield,,, But anyhow good post and as I said I only care a bit harsh but I care and say the truth sometimes ya know. 🙉☮👨🏽‍🦲👌💯🙈

TRENDING THREADS