Build Advice My first build in 10 years

jedievan

Reputable
Jan 23, 2018
I'm going to build a budget gaming PC. Are these all compatible?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Gaming X V2
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Video Card: Asus STRIX-GTX960-DC2OC-4GD5
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid-Tower Gaming PC Computer Case
Power Supply: EVGA 650 GQ 210-GQ-0650-V1 80+ GOLD 650W
SSD: Team Group MP33 M.2 2280 1TB PCIe 3.0 x4 with NVMe
HDD: Seagate BarraCuda ST8000DM004 8TB 5400 RPM
Operating System: Windows 10

For the CPU, I was planning on using the stock cooler. I don't mind if it runs warm or if the the fan is noisy. As long as it's not throttling.

For the graphics card, I want to use my old GTX 960. I don't think I can afford to get a new one right now. I mostly play older games anyway.

For the hard drives, I'm mostly concerned with reliability. I selected a Team Group SSD because the warranty, TBW, and MTBF all look about the same as the more expensive SSDs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Why_Me
I'm going to build a budget gaming PC. Are these all compatible?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Gaming X V2
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Video Card: Asus STRIX-GTX960-DC2OC-4GD5
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid-Tower Gaming PC Computer Case
Power Supply: EVGA 650 GQ 210-GQ-0650-V1 80+ GOLD 650W
SSD: Team Group MP33 M.2 2280 1TB PCIe 3.0 x4 with NVMe
HDD: Seagate BarraCuda ST8000DM004 8TB 5400 RPM
Operating System: Windows 10

For the CPU, I was planning on using the stock cooler. I don't mind if it runs warm of if the the fan is noisy. As long as it's not throttling.

For the graphics card, I want to use my old GTX 960. I don't think I can afford to get a new one right now. I mostly play older games anyway.

For the hard drives, I'm mostly concerned with reliability. I selected a Team Group SSD because the warranty, TBW, and MTBF all look about the same as the more expensive SSDs.
It all works ^^

jedievan

Reputable
Jan 23, 2018
That is a very old school chassis. Is that also from your old build?

A more up to date unit will give you some more flexibility. Do you have need for an optical drive? If not this might be worth a look.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Bcprxr/zalman-s2-atx-mid-tower-case-s2
Yeah, I'm old school. It's not the from one my old build. I chose it because it
  1. Doesn't have a window.
  2. The top is flat.
  3. The front ports and power button are near the top, but not on the top.
  4. The power supply is mounted on the bottom.
  5. It has more than just 2 3.5" internal drive bays.
  6. I might need an optical drive.
  7. It has a hard drive activity LED on the front and near the top.

What flexibility would a more modern case have?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Larger GPU support
Better radiator support
Better cable management
Plenty of mid-towers with 4 3.5" bays (but in the era of SSD, 2.5" spots are quite prevalent, not to mention that you also have M.2 slots on the motherboard)

1 ODD, 2 3.5" + 2 2.5" and cheaper than the Rosewill.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/XZnG3C/cougar-mx330-x-atx-mid-tower-case-mx330-x

This one is more expensive, has more drive options, but is sort of inbetween old and new school.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/JZPzK8/be-quiet-bg022-atx-mid-tower-case-bg022

jedievan

Reputable
Jan 23, 2018
Larger GPU support
Better radiator support
Better cable management
Plenty of mid-towers with 4 3.5" bays (but in the era of SSD, 2.5" spots are quite prevalent, not to mention that you also have M.2 slots on the motherboard)

1 ODD, 2 3.5" + 2 2.5" and cheaper than the Rosewill.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/XZnG3C/cougar-mx330-x-atx-mid-tower-case-mx330-x

This one is more expensive, has more drive options, but is sort of inbetween old and new school.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/JZPzK8/be-quiet-bg022-atx-mid-tower-case-bg022
I'm not expecting to use a radiator. I'm not too worried about cable management. I'm expecting to use only one M.2 slot and zero 2.5". I might eventually use several 3.5", so the Rosewill is still better than the Cougar or the Be Quiet cases for me.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I didn't want to go too outside the $70 price tag. After that it is basically full towers with tons of drive bays.

Phanteks Enthoo Pro is available without a side window, but I think it is out of production, so the remaining ones are getting expensive.

In the future as long as you stick to shorter GPUs, shouldn't be a problem in the Rosewill.

gggirlgeek

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
Why don't you want a window? Curious because I'm building a similar system with better graphics. I heard the window can shatter if it gets too hot. Is that why?

Also, why are you getting 5400 rpm drives? Are they that much cheaper? That's very slow.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Even the worst tempered glass is going to be able to withstand anything short of a fire inside the computer.

Still, what is more likely is that the chassis was poorly manufactured without the appropriate mount for the glass. If the chassis expands and the glass is put under additional strain, it would then take only a sharp impact to make the glass break.

With sufficient rubber padding and a relatively rigid computer case, you won't see tempered glass shattering. Anyone that makes that claim probably had something to do with it breaking. A chair wheel, a thrown gamepad or mouse, etc.

8TB for bulk storage, speed doesn't matter all that much. I use a 3TB 5900 rpm for my media files. Playback speed is just fine.

jedievan

Reputable
Jan 23, 2018
Why don't you want a window? Curious because I'm building a similar system with better graphics. I heard the window can shatter if it gets too hot. Is that why?

Also, why are you getting 5400 rpm drives? Are they that much cheaper? That's very slow.
I don't want a window because it might shatter. It's heavier. I don't need to show off the inside of my computer. And I don't need any lights shining out at me through the window as I'm trying to sleep.

I'm saving about $50 by getting 5400 rpm hard drive instead of 7200. The operating system and programs are going on the SSD, so 5400 rpm drive for bulk storage won't slow things that much. Also, I care a lot about the longevity the drive. I figure it's less likely to fail if it's spinning slower.

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
NVME .M2 is throwing money out the window, will not outperform SSDs in even hardcore gaming. It's only good for professional applications for now.
If you buy the HDD for Image Backup or storage, that is fine, NOT for every day running, like an external box that is off most of the time.
Want to go cheap on storage, buy the 2TB Sandisk Ultra 3D.
As for why are you mixing AMD + nVidia/Intel that is a puzzle to me, unless you want to deal with double trouble. Intel is a no buy for me in the near future,
not the CPUs and not the GPUs, expensive under performers.

jedievan

Reputable
Jan 23, 2018
NVME .M2 is throwing money out the window, will not outperform SSDs in even hardcore gaming. It's only good for professional applications for now.
If you buy the HDD for Image Backup or storage, that is fine, NOT for every day running, like an external box that is off most of the time.
Want to go cheap on storage, buy the 2TB Sandisk Ultra 3D.
As for why are you mixing AMD + nVidia/Intel that is a puzzle to me, unless you want to deal with double trouble. Intel is a no buy for me in the near future,
not the CPUs and not the GPUs, expensive under performers.
I wasn't expecting NVME M.2 to improve gaming performance. I was expecting it to improve startup time.

What's wrong with AMD CPU + Nvidia GPU?

gggirlgeek

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
I've had that 8TB HDD since Feb '22. It works fine. My speed tests at 90% full are 135R/117W. I have it set up with Drivepool as a pooled drive combined with other 7200rmp drives. Booting from it is simply painful so I don't do it. For comparison, my 4TB 7200rpm drive get 156R/125W at 50% full.

OK, about the Chassis window. That's what I suspected and I will steer clear too. I don't like lights either but I was thinking of disconnecting/breaking/or painting over them if I end up with them (black nail polish is so useful!)

I am also in the market for a new system and heat may be a concern until I treat myself to a fancy cooling system. Thanks for the opinion.