My First PC Build: Advice and help please!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

moomooo

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
Hello. I'm going to build a gaming pc soon and I Really need your help and advices.

I want to play BF3, skyrim, nfs:the run and assassins screed 3 and gta V in the future. (on ultra settings)

I have up to $700 I can use for a pc build.

I already have an un used power supply at home : Corsair 750TX 750 watts : watts http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021

Case I don't need to spend a lot I just want a high air flow case. I thought of this one maybe : Cooler Master haf 912. www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233 It's Huge and I have some space to do cable managment since the psu i have is non modular.

Dvd player : Don't need a bluray. A normal dvd that can makes the job will be fine.

Memory : G. Skill DDr3 2x4 gb http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

What do you think ?

Cpu: I'm looking for the Intel i5 core around ($250) www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072& Can't affrod i7

This one seems decent for it's price. Can someone Tell me what is the diffrence between i5 2500 and i5 2500k? I compared both on newegg site but there is just no diffrence but the prices are diffrent.

I also want to know is it better to have an i5 or amd fx cpu ? or a phenom would be better for price/quality

Cpu cooler: I heard that stock fan sucks so maybe I can buy one that can makes the job and not so much expensive.

Motherboard: idk

HDD 320 to 500 gb will make the job

GPU: I prefer Radeon but i'm open for any suggestion. I have a viewsonic monitor 19" at 1280 x 1024. Don't need a new one i'm fine with it.

I don't want to overclock and I don't think i need double gpu.
Since i am from Canada, pieces are a bit more expensive than in the usa plus i need to pay for shipping and for customs system
I'm open to any suggestion for all parts.

My goal is to save maximum money while having a decent pc.

Thanks a lot.

Solution
You should look into a i5-2400 or a i3-2120 as they are good enough for gaming. You should put more into a gpu and I suggest a z68 motherboard since it has intel virtu which switches between the integrated graphics and the gpu. Get a 6870 or above incase you decide to upgrade your monitor they are around 150-200 bucks

Check out ncix they have cheaper shipping and price match new egg.ca if you are going to pay with pay pal :)

moomooo

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012

Yes they use sata connections. I could get a new HDD and use the actual dvd burner ^^

moomooo

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
I need an answer for this question: When it comes to install windows 7 Do i need to install any drivers or set something up in the bios before in order to be able to install windows 7 ? Or all I have to do is after first boot is insert win7 dvd and then it will tell to press any key to continue ??

ltpenguin

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011

if you don't have windows installed a bios screen will be there, just place in your disc and boot from it to install windows :3 you update drivers after windows is installed

moomooo

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
Ok I don't have to do that RAID thing (which seems complicated ) in order to install win 7 right ? Everytime i watch a video on youtube of someone booting his pc for the first time, the guy does the raid thing to install win7 :S

ltpenguin

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011

I believe that Is because they don't have a instillation cd so they use raid to get it on the drive. But don't worry you should be able to just place a windows cd and boot from that :3