dxturner

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
When I boot up my Dell dimension c521, the lights on the front light up but before anything even registers on the monitor or anything, the computer shuts down. Ten seconds or there about. Is this a mother board problem?

dxturner

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
i had been using this computer for a couple of years. Retired it when I got my new one. Was trying to transfer files to my new pc when this was discovered. The c521 has been idle (unplugged) for some time, about 4 months.

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
any time i get strange shut downs or sporadic power issues i swap the PSU, remove all items from the case and boot the PC on an anti static pad to eliminate the possibility of shorts to the case. aside from that it could be an issue on the PCB itself. another issue i have had is a bad ohm level on the power button, ive seen this cause such problems. do not power on the computer via the front panel connectors but rather unplug the connectors and use a key or screw driver to close the 2 pins for the power button on the MB.

dxturner

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
Turns out it was a memory problem. removed memory until I could boot up. Replsce memory one stick at a time until I couldn't boot up again. Remove the last one installed and all OK.