My friend is a compulsive liar

G

My friend from school claims his dad works for some big company (not intel) and says that he has the Itanium at his house and has been running it for over 2 months. If any of you smart guys know anything about this, like if its in any way possible or not, please tell me. I think he's full of crap so yea... please reply ALL KNOWLEDGE OF THE ITANIUM!

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
The Itainium has been out for almost a year now, so yes it is very possible for it to be in use. I have a buddy thats pretty high up in the Husky Oil's Technical Division and he says they have Itainiums in a few of their data base servers.

SPUD

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:

dhlucke

Polypheme
Yeah, I think I read that they are letting large companies test them out. Check intel's website. I'm pretty sure I read it there.

<font color=red>Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.</font color=red>
Pablo Picasso

mpjesse

Splendid
It's possible he MAY have one but unlikely. Those engineering samples are worth more than gold. We have a couple floating around at the DoD and if ANYONE took those things home the FBI, CIA and NSA would be beating down the door to the thief's house. I doubt some 14 year old kid has his own personal Itanium- and his father for that matter. But, anything is possible.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Suck"

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This is out of topic, but I think computers are useful (but unintelligent) because they give answers. :smile:

------------------
This site is cool.

G

The Itanium is currently one of the slowest processors for everyday apps. He's been ripped off then! ;)

Charles

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I don't think they are testing the itanium for "everyday apps" I'm pretty sure they didn't get that system to play battlezone or to download mp3's and warez (like most amd pups in the other/other sect do).

the Itanium is probably seeing action as a server or and using high-end intensive apps.

"Amd cpu...Gone in 2 secs flat, it truly is a fast chip!"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by AmdMeltdown on 03/29/01 01:06 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
it would play battlezone like a piece of crap. it will run 64-bit apps awsome but 32-bit will be totally unacceptable. why doesn't Intel just remove the 32bit code emulation?

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone will ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s

G

Doesn't matter anyways, when Hammer comes out it will completely kill the Itanium

Microsoft: We not only make Windows hacking possible, we make it easier!

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>why doesn't Intel just remove the 32bit code emulation?

what for? so that an IT guy would take time out of his work and sit there to play battlezone or quake? when he could do the same on a pee3 or hothalon(after work) I don't get your mentality griz, I really dont.

"Amd cpu...Gone in 2 secs flat, it truly is a fast chip!"

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You obvoiusly misread my post. Please empty your brain of [-peep-] then go back and read it over.

-----------------

Bill Gates, 1980s

G

Hey guys thnx for your replies, I really thought he was lying. Is the Itanium ever comming out for commercial use or anything, i thought it would be out in like 2 years or something.

G

More like two months but as far as intel has said its only and i do mean only server and high high end work station. Itll take years to get everyone on the 64 bit bandwagon just like it was for 32 bit oh well.

SPUDMUFFIN

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:

G

""Amd cpu...Gone in 2 secs flat, it truly is a fast chip!"

this is what happens when idiots like you try to OC :)

G

Hssssssssss christian!!!

SPUDMUFFIN

dhlucke

Polypheme
aceman, you are in no position to call someone an idiot. I think AMDMELTDOWN deserves a public apology for that.

<font color=red>Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.</font color=red>
Pablo Picasso

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Normally I would agree. But we're talking about AMDMeltdown here. no complaint :wink:

-----------------

Bill Gates, 1980s