Question My FX 8350 is underperforming..

Mar 23, 2019
Rig:
CPU: FX 8350
GPU: GTX 970 4GB
Motherboard: 990FXA UD3 R5 rev 1.0
Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120v
RAM: 16GB 1334 mhz (8x2)
Storage: 2 TB HDD, 128 GB SSD Boot Drive

So I've had an issue where my CPU (or motherboard I think) isn't performing as well as it should be performing. So sometimes when I play apex legends or the witcher 3 I get a stable 60 fps and after restarting the PC it fluctuates from 40 to 60. This is consistent across all games but what's interesting is that if I hadn't turned my PC off, it would've worked just fine. Around 5% of the time, when I switch it on it works well (60 FPS) and the vast majority of the time it doesn't. I've tried identifying what caused my PC to work better at times to no avail; I've tried overclocking, increasing the VCORE voltage, undervolting my CPU, OC'ing my ram, disabling/enabling cool and quiet,messing with all the C states in the bios and increasing my CPU fan speed. Over the last week it's worked well after booting twice. Once was after I reset the CMOS on my Motherboard so all the settings were the optimized defaults(note that resetting my CMOS hasn't caused my PC to work properly since then). The second time was when I had altered some settings in the BIOS (pictures below), note that after restarting it went back to performing poorly without me changing the settings. After I reset he CMOS and it worked, I took a picture of the HWmonitor data and that's also attached below. I also took a picture of the HWMonitor data after about an hour of game time when my PC was performing poorly, for reference (this is the blurrier picture with the smaller window)

Thanks in Advance!

Link to pictures: View: https://imgur.com/a/FGv7unF

I forgot to add that when I bench my CPU (while its performing poorly) in CPU-Z my scores are on par with an fx 8350. I haven't run a benchmark test while it was performing well and it hasn't ran well in 3 days or so despite me restarting it multiple times.

Rig:
CPU: FX 8350
GPU: GTX 970 4GB
Motherboard: 990FXA UD3 R5 rev 1.0
Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120v
RAM: 16GB 1334 mhz (8x2)
Storage: 2 TB HDD, 128 GB SSD Boot Drive

So I've had an issue where my CPU (or motherboard I think) isn't performing as well as it should be performing. So sometimes when I play apex legends or the witcher 3 I get a stable 60 fps and after restarting the PC it fluctuates from 40 to 60. This is consistent across all games but what's interesting is that if I hadn't turned my PC off, it would've worked just fine. Around 5% of the time, when I switch it on it works well (60 FPS) and the vast majority of the time it doesn't. I've tried identifying what caused my PC to work better at times to no avail; I've tried overclocking, increasing the VCORE voltage, undervolting my CPU, OC'ing my ram, disabling/enabling cool and quiet,messing with all the C states in the bios and increasing my CPU fan speed. Over the last week it's worked well after booting twice. Once was after I reset the CMOS on my Motherboard so all the settings were the optimized defaults(note that resetting my CMOS hasn't caused my PC to work properly since then). The second time was when I had altered some settings in the BIOS (pictures below), note that after restarting it went back to performing poorly without me changing the settings. After I reset he CMOS and it worked, I took a picture of the HWmonitor data and that's also attached below. I also took a picture of the HWMonitor data after about an hour of game time when my PC was performing poorly, for reference (this is the blurrier picture with the smaller window)

Thanks in Advance!

Link to pictures:

View: https://imgur.com/a/FGv7unF

I forgot to add that when I bench my CPU (while its performing poorly) in CPU-Z my scores are on par with an fx 8350. I haven't run a benchmark test while it was performing well and it hasn't ran well in 3 days or so despite me restarting it multiple times.

Last edited:
I would not rely on third party software to read temperatures as they are often misleading.

One obvious reason for poor performance is:
"RAM: 16GB 1334 mhz (8x2)"

No part number or link listed for memory.

The FX-8350 supports 1866MHz memory speed with one DIMM per channel. You current memory is running too slow. This may be due to your BIOS memory settings. It could also be your choice of memory, whatever that is.

Achaios

Honorable
BANNED
May 28, 2013
Then how do you explain the months prior to this where both games ran at 60fps everytime?

You think that they were, but they weren't.

If a Faildozer could do CONSTANT 60 FPS+ in Witcher III we'd all sell our multi thousand dollar Intel systems and go buy a ten year old motherboard and a Faildozer and call it quits.

Also Intel would go out of business as the Faildozer would obviously be the best CPU ever made and there would be no need for anyone to ever buy anything else but a Faildozer.

Back IRL, study

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

to understand why your CPU was named "Faildozer". Welcome to RL.

Mar 23, 2019
You think that they were, but they weren't.

If a Faildozer could do CONSTANT 60 FPS+ in Witcher III we'd all sell our multi thousand dollar Intel systems and go buy a ten year old motherboard and a Faildozer and call it quits.

Also Intel would go out of business as the Faildozer would obviously be the best CPU ever made and there would be no need for anyone to ever buy anything else but a Faildozer.

Back IRL, study

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

to understand why your CPU was named "Faildozer". Welcome to RL.
Thanks for the great advice

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Your cpu is clearly overheating, hitting 70'c on a 8350 and it will be throttling like crazy.

Try re doing the thermal paste and make sure the cooler is mounted right. Also check your coolers pump power connection, if its on a motherboard header then that must be set in the bios to run at 100% (12v).

Mar 23, 2019
Firstly, I appreciate all the responses regarding overheating.
I know my CPU is overheating and throttling on occasion and to fix this, I've ordered a new fan. However, this clearly isn't the problem as , on the rare occasion that it works, I've monitored my cpu temp data and clock speed. When it worked saturday, my max temps went up to 79 degrees C and it did throttle (a few of my cores went down to 1406 Mhz). Despite this, all my games ran at 60 fps for a few hours. So while my CPU is overheating and that should be fixed when my H60 gets delivered, I don't think that's the problem. More evidence is that I'd left the case open and air conditioner on for a few hours bringing the load temps down to 55-60 degrees C and it still didn't work properly. This still feels completely random to me and I don't see a correlation with temperature. Do you guys think it could be a MOBO or Power Supply problem? (It may be worth noting that I reset my CMOS and my BIOS is up to date)

If you're running Windows 10, try disabling "fast boot" from Windows advanced power settings (it's under the tab that says "change what power button does"). It caused all kinds of lock-up and stuttering issues with my FX system after one of the W10 feature updates.