My Gaming BUILD v2, Help Evaluate Please

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 12, 2013
Here are the specs of my new build for GAMING MOSTLY (1ST-MMORPG and 2ND-FPS)and MULTITASKING.

Case: Cooler Master HAF X NVIDIA Edition (HAF 942) (NV-942-KKN)

Wi-Headphone: Creative SB Recon 3D Omega Wireless Headset

K & M: Logitech Cordless Desktop MX5500

WebCam: Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920, 1080p Widescreen Video Calling and Recording

SDD: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD

Monitor: SAMSUNG 27" S27A950DSL (3D LED) - 5.000.000:1 - 2ms + DVI-D + Display Port + HDMI + 3D Glasses
I also considering dual monitor. Dont know if i can go double S27A950DSL. Can i?

CONFUSE SECTION:
MB: Asrock Z87 Extreme 6 (Please advise any other option if exist)

CPU:
Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2Ghz Cache 12MB [Box] Socket LGA 2011
Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5 Ghz - Cache 6MB [Box] Socket LGA 1150 - Haswell Series - NEW!!
Intel Core i7 3770k 3.4Ghz Cache 8MB [Box] Socket LGA 1155 - Unlocked
Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4Ghz Cache 8MB [Box] Socket LGA 1155 - Unlocked

GPU:
Asus Geforce GTX 670 4096MB DDR5 DirectCU II - GTX670-DC2T-4GD5
Zotac Geforce GTX 770 2048MB DDR5 AMP !
is there Zotac Geforce GTX 770 4096 DDR5 AMP! ??
(Is it recommended to SLI?)

PSU:
Corsair TXV2 Series 850W CMPSU-850TXV2EU
(Please advise any other option if exist)

DONT KNOW SECTION:
CPU Cooler: Do i need them?

RAM: Please advise on Best 2x8GB RAM below or others
Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Black PC12800 16GB (2X8GB) - CML16GX3M2A1600C10 LP
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

2nd HD: What should i combine with Samsung SSD?

DVD: Do i need them. If yes? What should i get?

Network Card: What should i pick?

If i miss anything, please advise. I am totally beginner. please accept my gratitude in advance.

Solution
Hey there. Your list is shaping up well for a high end / high budget build

In answer to your questions:

CPU: The model you want on that platform from the ones you list is - Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5 Ghz - Cache 6MB [Box] Socket LGA 1150
On a gaming build you can definitely get away with a Intel Core i5 4670K. Ample CPU power and will save you some $

Motherboard: The one you have selected is a good choice. As a personal preference, and given that you seem to have money to spend, I like this mobo:

Asus Z87 Pro
http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z87PRO/

GPU: Really comes down to your budget. You could get a single gtx770 now and when games become more demanding add a 2nd in SLI. I do recommend SLI for added gaming performance. Given...

Gloria Hefner

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013
I'm not much help for Mid-sized towers - I've always just gotten a $5000-10000 builds ever 1-3 years (Depends on if game requirements jump a lot or not.) but the only thing I'd change is instead of the Carbide Series 400R, get the 500R. It's .2 inches wider, and has an extra two fans! (Slightly more expensive, but hey, you're going to be running a 770 in SLI eventually, don't want to get any more heat than needed.)

And I GURANTEE I'll get some hate for this, but if you can, look on ebay/craigslist for a reputable seller selling an Alienware R4 ALX case (Just the case, mind.) - they have the best air flow you can get just about, and they're only a mid-sized case (Air flow for the size, anyway.). Plus, it looks nice - That's just my opinion on mid-tiers. I'd take formata's advice on the cases though.

Jun 12, 2013
The thermaltake - I actually WOULD have gotten that, but I decided to go with the 900D for the easy watercooling. Saved me some work there, 4ish hours.
Wew... 4 Hour different? That is quiet a difference. Haha..
Yeah man, the thermaltake are awesome. It is also Limited EDITION, looks nice. But the one i saw in Expo looks SUCKS.. the cover of drive bay are have gap in between. $1000 for that item, shietty. But he makes me think twice because he said there only 50 in the world and in my country only 2. Haha.. 900D doesnt have cool look, HAF X not that cool, too. Thermaltake Limited Yes, Strom Stryker YES

R220 - This is an audio quality-based, 7.1 surround sound headphone. There's literally nothing short of an entire stereo system that can give the same result as this.
RS220 looks really awesome seriously and yeah i heard from review its damn good. Unfortunately without your testimony, i dont know which one is better between those two. Now i get it though. Hmm.. You do gaming too, but you use RS220. Should i get RS. Shiett.... haha.. Im too perfectionist. I shouldve just use blindfold and pick one. Hahha..

Plus, it's a career - I run a youtube channel for Autodesk Maya (Not giving the link here because if I do, the people will find my steam account and I'll never, ever be able to click no to all the friend requests.) and video editing in that, etc. Plus, gaming, of course.
Hahaha....

NOTE: All of this info provided is based off of my own personal experiences, and some of this may not end up being factual and I could have simply had faulty parts/false info.
Nah, you do good in this Recommendation. I love it. You and Formata are being helpful alot. Marco, you too, I really appreciate the intention. I really do. That is just how i am.

Look at this, this makes me want to buy new gaming comp.
Beta Test Minimum System Requirements
OS Windows® Vista 32/64bit, Windows® 7 32/64 bit
CPU Intel® Core™2 Duo 3GHz
Memory 2 GB (4GB recommended for 64bit OS)
Available space on hard disk/SSD 20 GB
Graphics card NVIDIA® Geforce® 8800 or higher, ATI Radeon™ HD 4770 or higher
Screen resolution 1280 x 720
Internet Persistent broadband internet connection required
Sound Card DirectSound® compatible sound card (DirectX® 9.0c or higher)
DirectX® DirectX® 9.0c or higher

Beta Test Recommended System Requirements
OS Windows® 7 64 bit
CPU Intel® Core™ i5 2.66GHz
Memory 4 GB
Available space on hard disk/SSD 20 GB
Graphics Card NVIDIA® Geforce® GTX 660 or higher , AMD Radeon™ HD 7950 or higher
Screen resolution 1920 x 1080
Internet Persistent broadband internet connection required
Sound Card DirectSound® compatible sound card (DirectX® 9.0c or higher)
DirectX® DirectX® 9.0c or higher

get the 500R. It's .2 inches wider, and has an extra two fans! (Slightly more expensive, but hey, you're going to be running a 770 in SLI eventually, don't want to get any more heat than needed.) True...

And I GURANTEE I'll get some hate for this, but if you can, look on ebay/craigslist for a reputable seller selling an Alienware R4 ALX case (Just the case, mind.) - they have the best air flow you can get just about, and they're only a mid-sized case (Air flow for the size, anyway.). Plus, it looks nice - That's just my opinion on mid-tiers. I'd take formata's advice on the cases though.
DAMNNNNNNNNNNNN GLORIA, THAT SURE LOOKS SUPER NICE. WEW... SHIET I LOVE IT, BUT is it good in terms of cable management, wider space, lot of feature and so on? BUT DAMN ONCE AGAIN, IT ROCKS MY WORLD. Nice recom

Jun 12, 2013

Isnt that what i already pick?

Jun 12, 2013

Jun 12, 2013
http://www.avadirect.com/product_details_parts.asp?PRID=26227
http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/chassis/ghost#specs
Guys take a look at this casing, it seems and sounds awesome. Have you ever heard them?
The drive bay dont need a screw to lock it in. Wew... What you guys think?

http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/chassis/colossus-venom
This is the next one in terms of CASE

And finally i am trying to find review which compare between ZOTAC GTX 770 4GB and ZOTAC GTX 770 2GB AMP EDITION. I cant find them, can you guys tell me which is better based on this or better value.
http://www.dabs.com/Product/Compare?CompareList=8QVN%2C8QVL%2C8QVM&CategoryId=11137&q=zotac%20gtx%20770
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Nvidia-GTX-770-List-GeForce-roundup,22850.html
Let me know, im settle with the brand. But confuse about picking Higher vRAM or Higher Base and Memory Clock. Thanks

Gloria Hefner

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013
The best of the Gtx 770's have yet to come out. I was told (on may 31st) that the GTX 770 FTW was meant to come out in 1-2 weeks. It's now June 18. (Three weeks.) If you can, I'd see if I could wait for the FTW to come out. The FTW version usually is more power efficient, more speed, and less noise/less heat. - And it comes in 4GB/2GB versions.
Case argument: Never heard of any of said cases. Unable to give advice there.

Jun 12, 2013

This is a great info, how can you find such a great news. Did you follow any good info website? Thanks man.
I definitely wait. My need for this new gaming rig is on the latest mid August or the earliest hmm Mid July. Hope it will be Late July. But whats late a bit rather than too quick and regret it if the new item indeed become the next superstar.
Though the funniest thing is i watch the trailer for the new 770. It said 12 years longer lifespan of its bearing. Nobody gonna hold it till that long, LOL...

Formata

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
Never seen those cases. I'd google them see what reviews you can find... From looking at those images they look relatively 'enclosed'. Particularly if you are going to put 2 x GPUs in your system, you want one with good airflow to push out all that hot air the cards will be dumping inside your case.

If you can wait and see what these super charged FTW gtx770 are like... I would. But I'd still let your budget dictate which model is best for you. With the FTWs you might be paying a much higher premium for marginal extra performance (maybe more we'll have to wait and see). And when you times it by 2... all of a sudden you have a big price gap between going FTW and something more standard. Don't let the clocks and settings they ship with be the selling point... you'll be changing all that.

Jun 12, 2013
Never seen those cases. I'd google them see what reviews you can find... From looking at those images they look relatively 'enclosed'. Particularly if you are going to put 2 x GPUs in your system, you want one with good airflow to push out all that hot air the cards will be dumping inside your case.
I guess it is pretty safe to go with the most common or popular one. They may have the feature, the good look, but the material could be bad. I also considering that. OK, this should narrow down my search. Should only consider the famous one. Yeah i also heard about the first card are above the other GPU card will have lower performance because of the heat flow. I need to give space between them and make sure very good air flow.

If you can wait and see what these super charged FTW gtx770 are like... I would. But I'd still let your budget dictate which model is best for you. With the FTWs you might be paying a much higher premium for marginal extra performance (maybe more we'll have to wait and see). And when you times it by 2... all of a sudden you have a big price gap between going FTW and something more standard. Don't let the clocks and settings they ship with be the selling point... you'll be changing all that.[/quotemsg]
Hmm.. Yeah you are right, im lost in the middle of happiness to assembly new RIG. forgot about cost efficiency, nice one thanks. Though i also considering that maybe gaming will soon run through min 4GB. If not mistaken some games already require 2GB Minimal. Haha.. This is getting irritating for me, im stuck as i get to know more stuff, its getting harder to pick. LOL... I'll just meditate first.

And this one really hits my choice of CPU:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-4.html

Premium Gaming, Overclocking, And Application Performance
The Core i7-3770K only enjoys a 100 MHz-higher clock rate than the Core i5-3570K. Its real advantage is an extra 2 MB of L3 cache and Intel's Hyper-Threading feature. Neither of those extras have a big impact on gaming, but there is a small number of titles (like Crysis 3) that take advantage of extra resources, translating to a performance increase. Having said that, this is still rare, and the Core i7-3770K will be more useful to power users who want better performance in well-threaded apps, in addition to the best frame rates in games. Why not the new Core i7-4770K? As Chris covered in his launch story, it's really not all that impressive compared to Core i7-3770K. You need an LGA 1150-based motherboard to support it, and Intel currently wants $30 more for it. We're passing on making Haswell a recommendation for now.