Question My GPU (3080) Artificats Briefly Before Blue Screening

Jul 11, 2023
Hello all, for two months now, I've been having issues with my MSI 3080. It has been frequently causing blue screens and crashes after briefly artifacting.

I have done just about everything I can think of, I have reseated it, upgraded to an 850w PSU, updated all the drivers through GeForce Experience, used DDU, upgraded my mobo bios, literally everything I can think of. I have been using my old 1050ti, and have been having no issues, which rules out any physical damage to the PCIE slot. I have RMA'd it to no avail, tried just about everything I have listed a second time, had it RMA'd a second time, and still have been experiencing the same exact issues. I even tried the secondary PCIE slot with no success. It has been keeping at an acceptable temp with no visable damage to it at all.

If it helps, I am running a Ryzen 5 5600x, EVGA 850w PSU, and a Asrock B450M Pro 4. At this point the only thing I think it could possibly be at all is a mobo issue, but I don't know at all.

Please help me, I just want to utilize the 1440p monitor I purchased. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Honestly, if you're having artifacting before the blue screens, I'd be suspecting a failing GPU. Are you still in your warranty window? There are already like six weeks of RTX 3080s that have fallen out of the usual three-year warranty window. It's not surprising to see you having problems with the old one, the GD was a rather budget line from older High Power/FSP/Andyson platforms that notorious had trouble with the transient spikes. That you're still having problems with a new one is concerning.

Jul 11, 2023
Honestly, if you're having artifacting before the blue screens, I'd be suspecting a failing GPU. Are you still in your warranty window? There are already like six weeks of RTX 3080s that have fallen out of the usual three-year warranty window. It's not surprising to see you having problems with the old one, the GD was a rather budget line from older High Power/FSP/Andyson platforms that notorious had trouble with the transient spikes. That you're still having problems with a new one is concerning.
It's still under warranty until Feburary 2025, I have had it RMA'd twice now, and still have the same issue. Is this common or is this just extremely unlucky lol? Should I look into it getting replaced?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Do you have someone who can help you test the card in another system? Even if you need to use your power supply to do that. Or if don't have anyone, take the whole system to a PC store to get checked out. It's the only way really before contemplating motherboard.

Perhaps rma hasn't been reliable. Testing card elsewhere and a different card in yours which a PC shop will do if it comes to that should quickly tell you the story.

Usually artifacting like that is the graphics card, usually. Could try lower memory clock with Msi Afterburner.