Question My GPU and CPU are not using %100 in most games

Mar 1, 2023
Hi everyone I've been having this issue for a while now and it's really annoying me, I have an RTX 3060 12GB and a Ryzen 5 4650g PRO, My problem is that both my GPU and CPU are not using %100 usage, I have like %40 to %60 in most games and because of that I have low FPS in most games.

You might ask why I have this CPU ( Ryzen 5 4650g PRO), It's because I didn't have a GPU for a while and I had to get that CPU so I can play some games until I get a GPU and I decided to not change the CPU so I still have that CPU and I think it's not necessary to change it for now.

I have tried re-installing my GPU driver with DDU so many times and it didn't fix anything, I have also tried the High performance settings in windows, and so many other things, none of them seems to fix my issue.

So if you guys know anything about my issue I'd appreciate it very very much.

this is my specs:
CPU: RYZEN 5 4650G PRO
GPU: RTX 3060 12GB Colorful
RAM: 2x4GB HyperX Fury 2133mhz , 1x8GB Samsung 2133mhz ( I know this is bad, don't judge :))
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H-CF
SSD: SAMSUNG M.2 980 1TB
PSU: EVGA 650W G2 GOLD

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi everyone I've been having this issue for a while now and it's really annoying me, I have an RTX 3060 12GB and a Ryzen 5 4650g PRO, My problem is that both my GPU and CPU are not using %100 usage, I have like %40 to %60 in most games and because of that I have low FPS in most games.

You might ask why I have this CPU ( Ryzen 5 4650g PRO), It's because I didn't have a GPU for a while and I had to get that CPU so I can play some games until I get a GPU and I decided to not change the CPU so I still have that CPU and I think it's not necessary to change it for now.

I have tried re-installing my GPU driver with DDU so many times and it didn't fix anything, I have also tried the High performance settings in windows, and so many other things, none of them seems to fix my issue.

So if you guys know anything about my issue I'd appreciate it very very much.

this is my specs:
CPU: RYZEN 5 4650G PRO
GPU: RTX 3060 12GB Colorful
RAM: 2x4GB HyperX Fury 2133mhz , 1x8GB Samsung 2133mhz ( I know this is bad, don't judge :))
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H-CF
SSD: SAMSUNG M.2 980 1TB
PSU: EVGA 650W G2 GOLD
Looks normal to me.
Your CPU has 12 threads if the game can only use 1/2 of them then 50%. The slow memory also hurts performance.
For the card it will only use what it needs to.

The RAM configuration is not optimal. Not only does Ryzen need something faster to work optimally, the system is also likely running in single channel mode because you're using an odd number of sticks, which will hurt performance even more.

Not using 100% of the CPU is not necessarily a bad thing. If you're maxing out the CPU, it means you hit a CPU bottleneck. However, you can still have a bottleneck situation due to slow single thread performance.

Mar 1, 2023
Looks normal to me.
Your CPU has 12 threads if the game can only use 1/2 of them then 50%. The slow memory also hurts performance.
For the card it will only use what it needs to.
Yeah I know that the gpu uses what it needs to use for example while I'm in Minecraft the GPU uses %20 and I have like 300 fps that's normal I know but in other games my gpu uses %60 max and i get like 40 to 50 fps and that's not normal because the GPU can get me more fps but it doesn't use all of it's usage, That's my problem

Mar 1, 2023
The RAM configuration is not optimal. Not only does Ryzen need something faster to work optimally, the system is also likely running in single channel mode because you're using an odd number of sticks, which will hurt performance even more.

Not using 100% of the CPU is not necessarily a bad thing. If you're maxing out the CPU, it means you hit a CPU bottleneck. However, you can still have a bottleneck situation due to slow single thread performance.
I know that my RAM configuration is not optimal, I'll fix that soon with a new RAM, and for the CPU usage you're Right and I don't want it to use %100 but my problem is my GPU, it's not using %90+ while the CPU can handle it, I don't know if it's bottleneck issue or something else, I just wanna make sure what I should replace in my system.

Okay, let's say you have a game that can use only 4 threads properly. The 4650G has 12 threads.
4/12 =0.33 or 33% CPU usage even if those 4 threads are under full load.
Task manager might not show it that way, because Windows likes to shift threads around a bit. So you could see 33% on all cores or 67% on half your cores, or 100% on a third if the cores, etc.

And lets say those 4 threads on the CPU can do the work to prepare 160 fps in the game (because there is stuff that is done on the CPU, like NPC AI, projectile ballistics, etc), but your GPU can do 200 fps. Without having the necessary preparation done it can only work as fast as the data comes in.
So you'll see 160 fps with 80% on the GPU. (160/200 = 0.8 or 80%) and 33% on the CPU (4/12 = 0.33 or 33%)

How can you solve the GPU is not fully loaded "issue"?
  • overclock the CPU enough to feed enough data to the GPU (in that example 25% faster than what it is at)
  • increase the graphics settings in the game (obviously only settings that hit the GPU. Resolution is a good example)
  • lower the clocks of the GPU (if the GPU is slow enough, you can get it loaded even with a weaker CPU)
  • play a different game that is harder to render.
  • ignore it and be happy that you have some overhead in case you run into a situation in the game that hits much much harder than the rest. (Like that one scene with a waterfall in Tomb Raider 2013 that hit my 660 Ti super hard, or the forest in DMC4 where my 8800 GT struggled)