Question My GPU's utilization is almost always at 100% for no reason. Is this normal?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 27, 2023
I have been experiencing some issues with my GPU lately. It runs at 0% or 100% and spikes quickly and dramatically. I have already run an antivirus that came up empty, so I don't think I have any viruses. When idling, it spikes between 0% and 80%, and running any game keeps it at 100%.
My specs are AMD Ryzen 5 5600G CPU
B55-A Pro Micro-Star International Motherboard
32 Gig DDR4 4 sticks RAM
Radeon RX 580 Series GPU
All components are brand new except for the GPU and 2 sticks of RAM, which were tested/used by the tech report. If anyone has an answer or solution to this issue, I would appreciate a response as soon as possible. This problem has been quite frustrating for me.

100% gpu utilization on minecraft with or without shaders? FPS capped or not?

It does not surprise me at all that an RX580 on 1440p hits 100% in every game you throw at it though.. Especially in the games that you've listed AND that you're running them on high @1440p.

But as you mentioned this occurring on desktop usage also, it certainly should not be happening..

Have you tried to use an older driver perhaps? First wiping the old ones with DDU.

If you might suspect a miner of sorts could be the root cause you can try and do a scan with Kaspersky and Hitman Pro alongside Malwarebytes (which you've already tried)

Joseph_138

Distinguished
100% gpu utilization on minecraft with or without shaders? FPS capped or not?

It does not surprise me at all that an RX580 on 1440p hits 100% in every game you throw at it though.. Especially in the games that you've listed AND that you're running them on high @1440p.

But as you mentioned this occurring on desktop usage also, it certainly should not be happening..

Have you tried to use an older driver perhaps? First wiping the old ones with DDU.

If you might suspect a miner of sorts could be the root cause you can try and do a scan with Kaspersky and Hitman Pro alongside Malwarebytes (which you've already tried)
A covert miner was what I was thinking, when I suggested a malware scan.

Jan 29, 2024
What is the power consumption doing when it does this?

In doing some searching there is a windows setting that seems to have an impact for some systems you could try turning it off if it's on to see if anything changes: hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling (it's in the windows settings under display > graphics).
This is the solution! I disabled this and GPU went back to normal. after clicking graphics you need to click change default graphics setting. so it should go.. Windows/settings/home/display/graphics/change default graphics settings(this is at top of screen and can be easily missed)