My hard drives keep burning up

Bloody Chainsaw

Commendable
Oct 29, 2016
I have two Seagate hardrive connected on the same power supply line, 500 GB as primary and 1 TB as secondary. The 500 GB one's running just fine, but the 1 TB one just burns up after a few days. This has happened twice now. hard drive doesn't work again, even through a USB to SATA cable. Is there anyway to find out what's causing the problem and hopefully fix the drives?

Solution

Sounds like you need a new PSU. I you have some connections that aren't supplying power and others that are killing fans and drives, the PSU is malfunctioning and needs to be replaced. Depending on the model and purchase date, it might still be under warranty.

Have you tried connecting it to a different power connection? It sounds like you have a failing or low quality PSU.

What are the system specs and what PSU do you have?

It is without much doubt the sign of a power supply unit that is not regulating it`s power output correctly.
Or has no over voltage protection as part of it`s electrical safety protection circuits that should be built into the power supply unit.

Or has the in ability to regulate the power input to the power supply unit also.
If the Psu is of a little known brand name and was fairly cheap to buy for the amount of wattage it states it can effectively output on the DC side to power the system.

It will probably be the cause as to why it keeps killing hard drives connected up to it for a 12v and 5v power feed to the drive.

It can be due also to a very low quoted amp rating of the 12v power rails of the Psu in question.
Amp`s output are even more of a cause as to why drives may get fried when connected and in used to the Psu in question.

If you can you should really list the brand name of the Psu, what it quotes it can output as it`s maximum wattage.
And the values in amps of the stated 12v power rails via the sticker information on the side of the Psu Bloody Chainsaw.

By naming the brand of Psu and the model number plus the maximum quoted watt and amp out put oh the Psu.
Most people can tell you if it`s the power supply that is causing the burn out of hard drives.

In any case the fact that it is doing it, or has toasted more than one hard drive in the same way suggests you at least try the system with another power supply or replace it for a better branded one by name for efficiency and reliability as using it may damage other components of your system such as the motherboard, or graphics cards Bloody.

Bloody Chainsaw

Commendable
Oct 29, 2016
PSU's an Antec 500 W, around 2-3 years old. And I have tried with another power connector, drives are still not spinning. Haven't noticed any noticeable power spikes, except a couple of LED's in case fans burning up, although that might be faulty hardware.

Sounds like you need a new PSU. I you have some connections that aren't supplying power and others that are killing fans and drives, the PSU is malfunctioning and needs to be replaced. Depending on the model and purchase date, it might still be under warranty.

Solution