[SOLVED] My Hp Omen 15 reaches 100 degrees during rendering in Blender

Nov 26, 2021
I bought this laptop a month ago, and noticed high CPU temperatures (95-100 C) while gaming and rendering. I also changed thermal paste and it didn't fix the issue. Are these temps normal?

Solution
Hey there,

So, the answer is yes and no. Yes, gaming laptops typically get hot, and my Omen similarly does when gaming too. When the CPU reaches 95c and above, it starts to throttle. In fact it will often throttle even before that. No, because you don't want your CPU running that all the time, or even at least for a 2-3 hour gaming session. The fans will be spinning at full speed, and it can be a pain.

Re-pasting is a good idea. What paste did you use? You can also look at undervolting if you have an Intel system like mine. This can also further reduce temps. As will a good laptop cooling pad.

You can also consider capping your CPU speed lower so it doesn't get as hot.

Which model do you have?
Hey there,

So, the answer is yes and no. Yes, gaming laptops typically get hot, and my Omen similarly does when gaming too. When the CPU reaches 95c and above, it starts to throttle. In fact it will often throttle even before that. No, because you don't want your CPU running that all the time, or even at least for a 2-3 hour gaming session. The fans will be spinning at full speed, and it can be a pain.

Re-pasting is a good idea. What paste did you use? You can also look at undervolting if you have an Intel system like mine. This can also further reduce temps. As will a good laptop cooling pad.

You can also consider capping your CPU speed lower so it doesn't get as hot.

Which model do you have?

Solution
Nov 26, 2021
Hey!

I used Aerocool Baraf S for repasting, i know it's a low quality paste but there aren't many options available in my area. My Omen has AMD Ryzen 7 5800H CPU and RTX 3070 GPU.

Ah okay. Yes, that paste is not the best. I would hold out and try and get some TG Kryo or Noctua NT H1. Both really good for laptops. You will reduce the temps over what you have by possibly 5-10c. Maybe more.

Given it's a Ryzen system, I'd defo go with better paste, as undervolting isn't easy on Ryzen laptops. You should be able to get your temps in the low 80's with good paste. It will prevent throttling, give more performance, and less fan noise.

Reactions: crappybangs98
Nov 26, 2021
Ah okay. Yes, that paste is not the best. I would hold out and try and get some TG Kryo or Noctua NT H1. Both really good for laptops. You will reduce the temps over what you have by possibly 5-10c. Maybe more.

Given it's a Ryzen system, I'd defo go with better paste, as undervolting isn't easy on Ryzen laptops. You should be able to get your temps in the low 80's with good paste. It will prevent throttling, give more performance, and less fan noise.
Thanks! I'll definetely look them up.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
NT-H1 is prone to pump out in laptops. I suggest keeping an eye on thermals.
Should thermals get worse, switch to NT-H2 or others:
Gelid GC Extreme
Prolimatech PK-3
Kingpin KPx
Thicker, or higher viscosity pastes are more resistant to pump out, which is a common problem on naked die applications; the surface is smoother than that of the IHS on a desktop cpu.
Kryonaut isn't as thick as the ones above, plus it has that quirk where it dries out faster the longer it's exposed to elevated temperatures(~80C).

Reactions: crappybangs98
Nov 26, 2021
NT-H1 is prone to pump out in laptops. I suggest keeping an eye on thermals.
Should thermals get worse, switch to NT-H2 or others:
Gelid GC Extreme
Prolimatech PK-3
Kingpin KPx
Thicker, or higher viscosity pastes are more resistant to pump out, which is a common problem on naked die applications; the surface is smoother than that of the IHS on a desktop cpu.
Kryonaut isn't as thick as the ones above, plus it has that quirk where it dries out faster the longer it's exposed to elevated temperatures(~80C).
I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!