[SOLVED] My i5 6600k doesn’t get very hot when I Overclock. Is there a reason for this?

andrew.s.omalley

Prominent
Nov 22, 2018
My i5 6600k doesn’t get very hot when I Overclock, is there a specific reason for this?

I run my i5 6600k at 4.2ghz (originally 3.5) at 1.255v. Under full load of a benchmark (aida 64) my cpu never goes above 45C. In idle, it is 20-30C.

I don’t have great cooling, no water cooling, just normal old fans from 2017. Did I just get a lucky chip?

Solution
My i5 6600k doesn’t get very hot when I Overclock ... Under full load of a benchmark (aida 64) my cpu never goes above 45C ...
"Full load" is a popular but non-specific user term, so if you want to compare apples to apples, then it's important to be very specific.

The definition of "full load" is a steady-state 100% TDP workload.

AIDA64 has 4 CPU related stress test selections which have 15 possible combinations that yield 15 different Core temperatures. That's a lot of variables. Any meaningful comparisons always account for, minimize or eliminate as many variables as possible so results will be consistent and repeatable.

You probably ran just the individual CPU...

CompuTronix

Intel Master
My i5 6600k doesn’t get very hot when I Overclock ... Under full load of a benchmark (aida 64) my cpu never goes above 45C ...
"Full load" is a popular but non-specific user term, so if you want to compare apples to apples, then it's important to be very specific.

The definition of "full load" is a steady-state 100% TDP workload.

AIDA64 has 4 CPU related stress test selections which have 15 possible combinations that yield 15 different Core temperatures. That's a lot of variables. Any meaningful comparisons always account for, minimize or eliminate as many variables as possible so results will be consistent and repeatable.

You probably ran just the individual CPU test, which is less than a 70% workload, and would explain why your i5-6600K "doesn't get very hot".

If you want to understand this topic and get yourself up to speed, there's a "Sticky" near the top of the CPUs Forum you can read: Intel Temperature Guide. If you just look, you can't miss it.

“Stress” tests vary widely and can be characterized into two categories; stability tests which are fluctuating workloads, and thermal tests which are steady workloads. Prime95 v29.8 Small FFT's (all AVX test selections disabled) is ideally suited for testing thermal performance, because it conforms to Intel's Datasheets as a steady-state 100% TDP workload with steady Core temperatures. No other utility can so closely replicate Intel's thermal test workload.

Utilities that don't overload or underload your processor will give you a valid thermal baseline. Here’s a comparison of utilities grouped as thermal and stability tests according to % of TDP, averaged across six processor Generations at stock settings rounded to the nearest 5%:

Ydre0YW.jpg

Although these tests range from 70% to 130% TDP workload, Windows Task Manager interprets every test as 100% CPU Utilization, which is processor resource activity, not actual workload. Core temperatures respond directly to Power consumption (Watts), which is driven by workload. Prime95 v29.8 Small FFT’s (all AVX test selections disabled) provides a steady-state 100% workload, even when TDP is exceeded by overclocking. If Core temperatures don't exceed 80°C, your CPU should run the most demanding real-world workloads without overheating.
... In idle, it is 20-30C ...
All computer temperatures, whether load or idle, are relative to ambient (room) temperature.

(Q): What is your ambient temperature?

Also, one user's "idle" is another user's "light load", so again, if you want to compare apples to apples, then it's important to be very specific.

The definition of "idle" is minimum activity at 1% CPU Utilization in Windows Task Manager.

This means your computer is in an undisturbed state with no streaming or programs or screensaver running, off line, and no Dropbox or Folding or SETI or "tray-trash" running in the background.

(Q): Is your rig really at "idle"?
What exact cooler are you using? hopefully not a stock cooler ...
Beginning with 6th Generation, "K" processors do not include Intel's specified 130 Watt TDP stock cooler; it's instead sold separately: Intel Stock Coolers

CT :sol:

Solution