Question My I9-9900K is way too hot

May 22, 2019
I've bought a new PC just today, and I've been listening to people's advice online on using the Noctua NH-D15 to cool my i9-9900k, but for some reason - my i9 goes INSANELY hot even without any OC at all!

Out of the box, no option changed in the BIOS at all, all cores running at 4.7Ghz - And it's reaching 100c in about 10 minutes of the prime95 stress test.

People online are claiming they reach 70-80c with this cooler and this CPU after OC to 5ghz. So I honestly can't understand what's going on.

Thank you!

MY SPECS:

CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K / 1151 Tray
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Pro
Ram: Corsair DDR 4 32G (16Gx2) 3200 CL16 Vengeance LPX Black
SSD: Samsung SSD 1.0TB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2
HDD: Seagate HDD 2.0TB 256MB SATA3 Barracuda
GPU: Palit RTX 2070 Dual 8G GDDR6 256bit
PSU: Antec HCG-650G 650W Gold Power
Chassis (I assume that means case?): Fractal Design Define S Black

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Full system's specs? List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

How is the airflow in your case? You might also want to look at task manager while your system is idling, often times memoryleak on Windows 10 can send the PC to be at full blast hence the unnecessary power draw/heat dump/temps.

May 22, 2019
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

How is the airflow in your case? You might also want to look at task manager while your system is idling, often times memoryleak on Windows 10 can send the PC to be at full blast hence the unnecessary power draw/heat dump/temps.

CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K / 1151 Tray
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Pro
Ram: Corsair DDR 4 32G (16Gx2) 3200 CL16 Vengeance LPX Black
SSD: Samsung SSD 1.0TB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2
HDD: Seagate HDD 2.0TB 256MB SATA3 Barracuda
GPU: Palit RTX 2070 Dual 8G GDDR6 256bit
PSU: Antec HCG-650G 650W Gold Power
Chassis (I assume that means case?): Fractal Design Define S Black

May 22, 2019
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Regarding the idle memory leak, I hardly think this would be the issue as my temps are pretty normal when idle (around 30-35c)
it's only during stress tests that it's going insane

Airflow seems to be O.K.? Not really sure how I'd check this
I've tried running the stress tests with the case side door open and it's about the same results so I don't think there's any problem with the case airflow

May 22, 2019
What version of prime 95 are you using? 26.6 and later use AVX by default and causes unrealistic and insane amounts of heat.
I've been using the latest one (got it today) so I guess higher than 26.6.

However, I've been getting the same issue with the AIDA64 system stability test.

JJoner

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015
I've been using the latest one (got it today) so I guess higher than 26.6.

However, I've been getting the same issue in AIDA64 system stability test.
If you haven't already you can try reseating it and using high quality thermal paste like Kryonaut. The large noctua coolers can be tricky to seat properly sometimes.

May 22, 2019
If you haven't already you can try reseating it and using high quality thermal paste like Kryonaut. The large noctua coolers can be tricky to seat properly sometimes.
I'm thinking maybe the people at the store didn't put enough thermal paste or maybe they used a really cheap one?
They claim they one that comes with the cooler.

I have the Arctic MX-4 2019 edition, would that be good enough?

May 22, 2019
BTW,

Tried running Prime95 26.6 instead, and the temps are much lower.

With OC to 5Ghz, My temps are around 85c avg during full load now, peaking at 90c-92c for brief moments.

Are those temps healthy/safe?

Yeah you want to run Prime95 without AVX instructions. You can run the latest version of Prime95 but you need to edit a text file to disable AVX instructions.

In the BIOS you'll probably want to set an AVX offset of 300mhz, so the CPU runs AVX instructions at 4.7ghz to prevent those hot temps.

What's your vcore?? Some people can get 5ghz on 9900Ks at way lower voltages than others.

If you are at the lowest stable voltage possible, I'd dial your overclock back to 4.9ghz and lower voltage accordingly to see if that works.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

JJoner

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015
I'm thinking maybe the people at the store didn't put enough thermal paste or maybe they used a really cheap one?

Any thermal paste is fine really, I was just listing the best you can get. They are all within around 3 degrees.

They probably did use the thermal paste that came with the cooler, it's generally on the lower end but it shouldnt skyrocket your temps like that. It's also possible that they didnt seat the cooler correctly and simply reseating the cooler will help.

spencer.cleaves2

Upstanding
Jan 5, 2019

Arctic MX 4 isnt too bad. I would definitely take your cooler off the cpu, wiping both contact points with a micro fiber clothe and rubbing alcohol, then apply the MX 4 and remount your CPU cooler. If you still have high temps after that, then we can start trouble shooting with workloads and software based troubleshooting.