My Internet Cable is vdsl/adsl but my New router's input port is ethernet, is there anyway around to make it work ?!!

jaw

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
Hello All, i have an issue i want to ask you about and i want to hear your opinion about it, now in my country unfortunately we are still using the (outdated) ADSL/VDSL services and i am using the Netgear DGN1000 – Wireless-N Router with Built-in DSL Modem (hell old i know), later i asked my brother to get me a new router and he got me the Asus TM-AC1900 (the T-Mobile edition of the original RT-AC68U), and now the problem is that the Asus router dont have a DSL/ADSL/VDSL port (Rj11 socket), its having the WAN/Internet socket (Rj44/45) i guess.

So i was thinking to connect the Asus to the Netgear by an Ethernet cable through the LAN port so lets say that i want the Netgear to be like a bridge to the Asus to make the asus be able to connect to the internet and then i can use the Asus router now as my main router and use its WIFI so the look will be like that, my ADSL cable will be in the Netgear and then i connect the netgear to the asus through an internet or ethernet cable, so my 1st question is simply if this thing is possible ?!!, if yes then how i can do it ?! how to make this possible ?!

My current wire connection is like that: my ADSL/phone line is connected to the Netgear router and then i connect my PC to the router by an internet cable from the one of the ethernet LAN ports from the router to my PC motherboard of course, and the rest of the other devices: laptop. smart TV, smart phones, gaming console and etc are connected to the Wifi, sry am not that good in the networking stuffs but yea that what i was thinking to do to put my Asus router to work through this.

So to summarize things up i now want to find a way to make my Asus router to work or to get accessibility to my intranet connection as i am having a ADSL/VDSL service, attaching the ADSL wire/cable to the Netgear modem/router, i simply want my Netgear router to provide the Asus with connection and even to make it as my main router, making my netgear as a bridge to the Asus by whatever way, so please tell me your opinions about it whether if its possible or not and how it can be done ?! is it called bridge or access point or what ?! sry i dont know much about networking.
BTW i may change my modem/router Netgear DGN1000 and get a new modem/router..any recommendations can i get to help making this process easier ?!!

Sorry for my bad English and for my long message though. :)

Solution

Don't buy a modem/router combo. You have an Asus RT. Ask your ISP (via website or customer support) for a list of approved stand-alone modems.

jaw

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
Actually i may change my netgear router though but i want to know is it possible to do it even with another ADSL modem router ? theoretically is something like that possible ?!!

kanewolf

Titan

Don't buy a modem/router combo. You have an Asus RT. Ask your ISP (via website or customer support) for a list of approved stand-alone modems.

Solution