Question My internet seems to be fine, but I'm experiencing high-ish ping in most games I play.

Jul 3, 2019
I've tried multiple things and it only started in the last few days. I've tried resetting the router, making sure a ton of devices aren't connected. I've pinged multiple locations and they all come back within normal ranges. I've done line quality tests and looked at the hops. WOW sits at around 200 when I was getting 50 or lower, Overwatch is about the same. Any advice?

It depends if the ping is high but stable or if the ping gets spikes of higher latency.

In general ping measures distance. Traffic does not take the most direct path sometimes. There is little you can do about issue like this because the ISP have all kinds of reasons for how they route traffic. If it all the sudden got worse a ISP may have had a failure and it is running on a backup path. There is no way to know for sure.

Really the only way to change the latency is to get a different ISP which few people is a option. You could try some of the so called "gamer" vpn sites. In theory at least you might get a faster connection. To work you would need a low latency path to one of their data centers and then the gaming vpn would need to have a better path from that game vpn center to the server than you have. VPN should always be slower because of the added complexity but there are cases it might be better. Mostly this help in countries in asia that some ISP do not have direct access to some of the undersea fiber.