Question my laptop display is having faded borders at all the sides!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 20, 2020
I own an ASUS rog Strix G531gt gaming laptop with a 15.6" IPS display and 60hz refresh rate. At times I get a display with faded borders that makes my pc look like an old CRT tv. The problem persists only for some amount of time and the display becomes normal as the amount of fading decreases over time. Is this an issue with the display panel? or any other hardware that I have to change?? the laptop is only 7 months old. I can't go to the service center since the problem is not there always and it happens randomly

https://ibb.co/chS49RH: an image of the screen with faded borders.

https://ibb.co/3hVj0Rh: image after the border starts to fade away against a black screen

Thanks in Advance !!

Jul 20, 2020
Can it be triggered by opening and closing the lid several times?

Might be a display, backlight or GPU problem

Is the laptop´s BIOS up to date and the graphics drivers installed from the ASUS´ support homepage?
https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-Strix-G/HelpDesk_Download/
it happens when I open the lid after it remaining closed for some time and never again for that day. It wasn't due to closing and opening several times. It has only happened twice until now. the first time was on July 1 and then again yesterday. The BIOS and every driver are up to date.

Looks like back-light bleed, even your lower picture suffers from it so a normal extent but that uniform bleed around the outer edges maybe is weird.

Maybe after being powered off for a time the glue is seperating around the outer edges of the panel.

Once it warms up it may be self sealing itself again.

If it happens again try putting a slight pressure around the outer edges of the screen and surround and see if it makes any difference.

Jul 20, 2020
Looks like back-light bleed, even your lower picture suffers from it so a normal extent but that uniform bleed around the outer edges maybe is weird.

Maybe after being powered off for a time the glue is seperating around the outer edges of the panel.

Once it warms up it may be self sealing itself again.

If it happens again try putting a slight pressure around the outer edges of the screen and surround and see if it makes any difference.
I tried applying pressure, Applying pressure produces white light at the point of pressure and no change in other problem. the laptop is under warranty only, should I replace the display??

I tried applying pressure, Applying pressure produces white light at the point of pressure and no change in other problem. the laptop is under warranty only, should I replace the display??

As you've already said, the issue with intermittent problems is you can go for warranty replacement, but the fact this is fairly isolated means unless they can see the issue themselves they may be unwilling to replace.

These kind of intermittent problems can be a real pain when it comes to warranty.

Have you been in touch with the service centre and emailed pictures of the issue when it does happen?

Its certainly not normal and I don't think I'd be happy with it being a fairly premium product.

Its not like anything I've ever seen before to be honest, those convex borders and curved corners are bizarre.

Jul 20, 2020
I have contacted Asus helpdesk and mailed them the pictures along with what happened, But they say it will take 48 hours minimum to reply. maybe I will wait for it and get it replaced. Thank you so much for your help brothers !! really appreciate it

Been googling, bizarrely I find myself stuck at what to actually google.

Did find some post on an imac forum.
I'm not sure if this is similar or not.

d2961e23871eef2b04684bfd72644718c0c03b39.jpeg

The General concensus with this one is moisture or condensation getting in and once the laptops been on a while it disperses.

Jul 20, 2020
As you've already said, the issue with intermittent problems is you can go for warranty replacement, but the fact this is fairly isolated means unless they can see the issue themselves they may be unwilling to replace.

These kind of intermittent problems can be a real pain when it comes to warranty.

Have you been in touch with the service centre and emailed pictures of the issue when it does happen?

Its certainly not normal and I don't think I'd be happy with it being a fairly premium product.

Its not like anything I've ever seen before to be honest, those convex borders and curved corners are bizarre.
Been googling, bizarrely I find myself stuck at what to actually google.

Did find some post on an imac forum.
I'm not sure if this is similar or not.

d2961e23871eef2b04684bfd72644718c0c03b39.jpeg

The General concensus with this one is moisture or condensation getting in and once the laptops been on a while it disperses.
Maybe this is it. Is it bad to have this condition, and how does moisture get in? maybe if this problem recurs I will get it replaced and what if the moisture gets in again?? God I'm confused.
and when I checked my Nvidia driver details it says a version which is not listed on ASUS site. it says v27.21.14.5148
and the Asus download center has only v26.21.14.4112. the update happened on June 26 4 days prior to first encountering this problem. should I uninstall this and go with the older version??

Maybe this is it. Is it bad to have this condition, and how does moisture get in? maybe if this problem recurs I will get it replaced and what if the moisture gets in again?? God I'm confused.
and when I checked my Nvidia driver details it says a version which is not listed on ASUS site. it says v27.21.14.5148
and the Asus download center has only v26.21.14.4112. the update happened on June 26 4 days prior to first encountering this problem. should I uninstall this and go with the older version??

Not a driver issue, definitely not.

Maybe condensation.

If you're putting that laptop straight in a neoprene sleeve/bag after switching off while it's still warm there is the capability for it to 'sweat' before it cools down.

With it only happening twice? It's a distinct possibility.

Especially if you're in a warm/humid climate and or a room with aircon.

Jul 20, 2020
I sometimes play games and put my laptop straight to the bag. while it's still warm. maybe that is it. I live in the southern part of India where humidity is relatively high.... but When it occurred during the first time it was on the table only, switched it off for 2 hours and when I switched on this happened. and the second time it was after heavy gaming for 3 hours the previous night and straight to the bag.

I sometimes play games and put my laptop straight to the bag. while it's still warm. maybe that is it. I live in the southern part of India where humidity is relatively high.... but When it occurred during the first time it was on the table only, switched it off for 2 hours and when I switched on this happened. and the second time it was after heavy gaming for 3 hours the previous night and straight to the bag.

Now you've mentioned India I'd be fairly certain it's the issue.

Any chance of getting any silica gel sachets to drop in your laptop bag?

These are the little paperish bags that normally come inside bags/boxes of electrical components when new.

I keep these in virtually everything from tool boxes to drawers containing electrical components.

They pull moisture straight out of the air, an absolute boon for keeping drill bits and tools etc free of rust in humid environments.

https://www.amazon.in/Generic-Silic...d=1&keywords=Silica+gel&qid=1595245446&sr=8-4

Jul 20, 2020
Now you've mentioned India I'd be fairly certain it's the issue.

Any chance of getting any silica gel sachets to drop in your laptop bag?

These are the little paperish bags that normally come inside bags/boxes of electrical components when new.

I keep these in virtually everything from tool boxes to drawers containing electrical components.

They pull moisture straight out of the air, an absolute boon for keeping drill bits and tools etc free of rust in humid environments.

https://www.amazon.in/Generic-Silic...d=1&keywords=Silica+gel&qid=1595245446&sr=8-4
yep, I will surely try this...its available through Amazon. Thanks a lot for your help. I might even try cleaning my laptop with some professional help.

Status
Not open for further replies.