My laptop won't connect to the WiFi.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

S_Sutton

Reputable
Mar 8, 2014
I have a Lenovo Ideapad with Windows 8 and I'm away for the weekend. I connected to the WiFi and it worked fine last night, but now it says it can't connect and the other people with me can connect. I have the password correct so I can't figure out what's wrong. I tried rebooting it. It didn't work.

Solution
OR renew your IP address...

1. Open windows command prompt Start\ Run\cmd\ok

2. To release your Ip address ipconfig/release
Enter

3. To renew your IP address ipconfig/renew
Enter

Exit

trisiwi

Reputable
Sep 29, 2015

baylorgang92

Reputable
Oct 1, 2015
Just fixed mine by the grace of god, stumbled upon it by noticing a missing file.
for windows
run command prompt as admin
type sfc/scannow
restart computer when finished

mine had been like this for two months with no solution.
Hope this helps someone, felt inclined to share.

lydslyds

Reputable
Oct 5, 2015
I just changed wifi channels from channel 6 to 13 and since then, I can't reconnect to wifi and hence can't change channels back. This has happened once before and it was a real pain in the butt. I have tried restarting lenovo laptop, router, modem. I tried disabling and enabling wireless. Nothing has worked. Any tips?

lovelymsjennie

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016

Mine keeps telling me "the operation failed as no adapter is kn the state permissible for this operation"
Help me please?

AMD_tobi

Commendable
Feb 17, 2016

Jude Jude

Commendable
May 29, 2016

I have tried to turn the WiFi button on but it won't. It flicks instantly back to off.

Vinicius_1

Commendable
Jun 2, 2016

I've had a similar problem with my network at home. It has had shown me up "checking network requirements" and after that "can't connect to this network" every time I tried to connect. I tried restart both my laptop and modem, forget network, unplug the modem from the power for 10 seconds, 1 minute, 10 minutes, 1h hour...and many more attempts I don't remember. I was ready to call an assistant until I found SMauderer's answer.

So I just stopped "bonjour" of working and tried to connect to my network again, and it worked. It's weird because the problem has happened just with my home network, I had tried to connect to another network and worked. So, thank you SMauderer for the advice.

DayToDay

Commendable
Jun 10, 2016

Hi, it says-> 0.0.0.0&&ipconfig /renew is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

ravitez

Commendable
Jun 19, 2016

It worked for me!
but what could be the reason?
because i never faced this issue with my cellphone which connects to the same router.

Adimoolam shivaji

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016

Snafflepuss

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016

I'm also getting the media disconnected issue but I am currently on wifi. I've had no end of wifi issues since Win10 and it's getting worse. I've unchecked the box in network adapter properties to stop the laptop turning it off. The device driver shows as being up to date but also as no device driver at all. I frequently experience DNS probe no internet & connection reset & network change detected errors and then intermittently the wifi just turns itself off on the laptop and I have to reboot to get back on. It works fine with an ethernet and all other non-Windows devices carry on as normal.

I have a Lenovo G50-30.

Steeltie

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016

Snafflepuss

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016

Anthony25

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016
You can also clear/flush the DHCP server connections. Some routers allow you to do this. This was the case that I had when I worked on friends laptop which it couldn't connect to my network, yet my laptop, phone & desktop could connect successfully.

Simply_jhen1726

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016

Thank u somuch it really works for me :)

Bonn Francis Taganas

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016
Right click the WIFI ICON, click TROUBLESHOOT PROBLEMS...Then just click CHECK IF THE PROBLEM HAS SOLVED...sometimes the brain of the computer had errors,so just let the computer itself solved it...We are using wifi everyday though sometimes we encountered errors on PC and LAPTOP...VERY EASY TO SOLVED.