[SOLVED] My Laptop's DVD ROM isn't reading CDs

Jun 11, 2021
Hi,
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this question. Anyways, I was just checking out my Audio CDs which I myself burned years ago. I inserted the disc in my laptop's optical drive, But it showed that "Please insert a disc in drive :V." The CD is playing fine in my DVD player but for no reason my laptop isnt reading it.

And also there is no vibration in the laptop of CD rom drive spinning.

Please Help.

Hi,
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this question. Anyways, I was just checking out my Audio CDs which I myself burned years ago. I inserted the disc in my laptop's optical drive, But it showed that "Please insert a disc in drive :V." The CD is playing fine in my DVD player but for no reason my laptop isnt reading it.

And also there is no vibration in the laptop of CD rom drive spinning.

Please Help.

Did you check this disk with another CD/DVD player before assuming it's an issue with the drive?

InvalidError

Titan
If your drive uses a belt between the spindle motor and spindle, the belt may have hardened a little and permanently taken the overall shape of its circuit around the motor and spindle pulley - two of my drives have quit working because of this until I opened them up and flipped the belts to re-shape them since I don't have spares. One of the drives still wouldn't read discs after that though and the (PC) drives' insides were practically perfectly clean, so it isn't a dust-related issue.

Optical drives don't like being grossly under-used.