[SOLVED] My mate wants to get a gpu

Sep 24, 2020
So recently my mate got a pc didn’t have much budget so he got a ryzen 3 3600 with intergrated graphics and he has enough money to get a new gpu I’ve recommended a 1660 super for budget but if he spends a little more what can he get before bottle neck?

Solution
Welcome to the forums! (at least a couple days ago)

I also assume you mean Ryzen 3400G?

bottle neck?
Problem is this is a very misused term, and no one can really answer, at least not without a lot of details.

EVERY system has a a limitation, and that limitation moves constantly based on what you are doing and ultimately, there is rarely anything wrong with a bottleneck.

In CPU intensive applications, your CPU will be a limit. In GPU intensive applications, your GPU will be a limit.

For example, if you only plan on gaming at 1080p resolution, then it's usually pretty pointless buying anything above 2060/2070. Every system has a limit, and it's never the same in all applications.

• What is your friends monitor...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums! (at least a couple days ago)

I also assume you mean Ryzen 3400G?

bottle neck?
Problem is this is a very misused term, and no one can really answer, at least not without a lot of details.

EVERY system has a a limitation, and that limitation moves constantly based on what you are doing and ultimately, there is rarely anything wrong with a bottleneck.

In CPU intensive applications, your CPU will be a limit. In GPU intensive applications, your GPU will be a limit.

For example, if you only plan on gaming at 1080p resolution, then it's usually pretty pointless buying anything above 2060/2070. Every system has a limit, and it's never the same in all applications.

• What is your friends monitor resolution and refresh rate?
  • What applications are they using? If games, what games?
  • What do they currently what to achieve?
  • What is their PSU make and model?

Reactions: Shivam541141
Solution

Shivam541141

Prominent
Jun 27, 2019
:ROFLMAO:Never heard of R3 3600 with iGPU.
First of all, tell me exactly what CPU it is and what is the budget for the graphics card and also mention your Motherboard model and PSU details.

jasonf2

Distinguished
Depending on the power supply (which may have to be increased in size) I would stay with at least the 2000 series Nvidia and RTX. Throughput performance wasn't that much better than the 1000 series but the inclusion of RTX (Raytracing) will become more important over the next couple of years. Looking at what a 1060 is going for right now I am assuming like a 150 usd budget. That isn't going to get you very much when it comes to a GPU in todays market.