Question My mobo is acting very weird with 4 long beeps

Aug 26, 2023
The PC has an Intel® Pentium® 4 with an https://www.jameco.com/jameco/products/prodds/345551a.pdf

I've test different RAM sticks and the PC has POSTed and booted before, but when I tried a newer Core I2 DUO (that has worked in the mobo before) it didn't POST, and when I put the Pentium back in it stopped POSTing, and gives me 4 long beeps (1 long, 1 long at a lower pitch, 1 long, 1 long at a lower pitch).
I have tried a hard CMOS reset and have looked at the post about troubleshooting PCs that don't boot.
The PC worked in the exact configuration before.

The manual says that it is a clock error, which is odd as it worked earlier today.

Any and all help is appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might want to inspect the entire motherboard and see if there are swollen capacitors. I'm leaning on the board having a corrupt BIOS if your previously known working processor was working on the same board. You could drop the processor and see if it behaves the same way.

You can also try and clean the base of the processor with isopropyl alcohol and an eraser. be sure to remove the eraser lint from the CPU's underside and then see if that helps. Bent or broken CPU socket pins?

Aug 26, 2023
I have inspected the mobo and I can't find any bulging or leaking capacitors, there are no bent or broken socket pins, cleaned the CPU pins with an eraser and still nothing.

When I take the CPU out and attempt to start the PC it wont even attempt to power on, no fans or anything.

also the mobo worked earlier that day, but it was when I tried the newer CPU it stopped working with the Pentium.