[SOLVED] My monitor does not support HDMI or DVI and only has a VGA Port, should I use HDMI to VGA adapters?

Nov 27, 2020
I recently bought a new gpu and it requires a HDMI port to connect to the display but my display does not have a HDMI port, it has a VGA port. Is it safe to use a HDMI to VGA adapter? Are there any cons other than the fact that I will not be able to use HD resolutions such as 1080p? Any FPS drops in-game or does the HDMI to VGA adapter even work?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
im terribly sorry because just buying graphic card has already pretty much stripped me from my money so no way im gonna get a new display, i had to buy a graphic card and a psu so im kinda low on cash rn
I understand that perfectly. Been there, done that as well. :(

No. The GTX 1050Tis are purely digital. There is no DVI-I (analog and digital integrated) port. You will need to find an adapter that works for you. However, what motherboard are you using and what was your previous graphics card?

-Wolf sends
What model monitor?
Does it have Display Port input?

If it has VGA only, then you have no other option than using some kind of adapter.
Adapter is safe. It doesn't cause fps drops.
But your monitor probably doesn't even support 1080p resolution.

May be consider getting a new monitor.

Nov 27, 2020
While they're safe to use, I'm not a big fan of adapters. I know it's not always possible, but I'd recommend a new display vs. wasting time/resources finding an adapter that's going to work.

-Wolf sends
im terribly sorry because just buying graphic card has already pretty much stripped me from my money so no way im gonna get a new display, i had to buy a graphic card and a psu so im kinda low on cash rn

Wolfshadw

Titan

No. The GTX 1050Tis are purely digital. There is no DVI-I (analog and digital integrated) port. You will need to find an adapter that works for you. However, what motherboard are you using and what was your previous graphics card?

-Wolf sends

Solution
Nov 27, 2020
What model monitor?
Does it have Display Port input?

If it has VGA only, then you have no other option than using some kind of adapter.
Adapter is safe. It doesn't cause fps drops.
But your monitor probably doesn't even support 1080p resolution.

May be consider getting a new monitor.
its a 13 year old lenovo monitor, i bought it in 2007 and it only has a VGA port, and i pretty much dont care about hd resolutions, i only like the standard 1366x768, it gives nice performance and looks good. so as long as it doesnt cause fps drops i might think of getting an adapter.

Nov 27, 2020

-Wolf sends
my motherboard is compatible with the graphic card im using, its a GA H110M S2 and i had a GT 710 before this graphic card so yeah id say its a huge upgrade!

Wolfshadw

Titan
my motherboard is compatible with the graphic card im using, its a GA H110M S2 and i had a GT 710 before this graphic card so yeah id say its a huge upgrade!
Sorry. I'm mixing your thread up with another that wants to add a second display that only has a VGA input.

Yeah. You're going to have to find an HDMI to VGA that works for you. If possible, go to a local electronics store and let them make a recommendation for you. That way, if it doesn't work, they'll be more inclined to accept it as a return; not to mention the faster turn-around.

-Wolf sends

its a 13 year old lenovo monitor, i bought it in 2007 and it only has a VGA port, and i pretty much dont care about hd resolutions, i only like the standard 1366x768,
Can you look at the back of your monitor and read model name of it? It's probably printed on some label.

If your monitor resolution is 1366x768, then why did you mention 1080p resolution? It will not ever support 1080p.

Can you look at the back of your monitor and read model name of it? It's probably printed on some label.

If your monitor resolution is 1366x768, then why did you mention 1080p resolution? It will not ever support 1080p.
He asked if there were any disadvantages to using a VGA adapter other than not being able to use 1080p (because that disadvantage doesn't apply to him).

Incidentally, HDMI to VGA adapters will support 1080p just fine.