My monitor stops working overnight

Mewligth

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
I'm the type that likes to keep their computer on overnight so I don't have to bother turning it on the next day, however recently I've been noticing that my monitor is having some issues. I would turn on the monitor but it wouldn't work, it would be as if it wasn't detecting anything and decided to stay on idle mode. (You know how green color on the monitor = it's on, and orange color on the monitor = it's idle)

But I know that my computer isn't actually frozen or something. My keyboard has a light, I can turn the light's settings from the computer and it will change. Or, I'd press TAB and I can hear the error sound. I know that my computer is still running fine, it's just my monitor is not detecting anything.

Can anyone help me?

Solution
Something probably crashed then, make sure you have hibernate disable since some computers don't like that. Beyond that you'll just have to disable standby options one at a time until you find what is causing the issue, keep in mind you may have hardware failure causing these symptoms as well.

APassingMe

Reputable
Aug 25, 2014
Did you try pushing the power button on your pc? Sometimes the computer goes into standby and turns off the display, also some motherboards have issues with waking from sleep with usb devices (normally because of settings but not always).

APassingMe

Reputable
Aug 25, 2014
I'm not suggesting that you shutdown or restart your computer, but normally pressing the power button while the computer is asleep will wake it up and then you can troubleshoot why your input devices aren't waking your computer up.

APassingMe

Reputable
Aug 25, 2014

Just to let you know, these symptoms (as I understand them) are not sure signs that your computer isn't frozen. Stuck key errors are normally handled by the motherboard, same for keyboard lighting (either the motherboard or integrated circuits)

Mewligth

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013

Yes I have, I even unplugged then replugged the monitor.

APassingMe

Reputable
Aug 25, 2014
Something probably crashed then, make sure you have hibernate disable since some computers don't like that. Beyond that you'll just have to disable standby options one at a time until you find what is causing the issue, keep in mind you may have hardware failure causing these symptoms as well.

Solution