[SOLVED] My new 3200 MHZ Ram doesn't work on 3200 MHZ

ksvrach

Prominent
May 11, 2021
Hey guys,
Hi there! I upgraded my ram on ASUS A17, It has (2x8 GB)16 GB before when I bought it and it ran on 3200 MHZ and now I bought new DDR4 ram with the same speed of 3200 it is (2X16 GB) 32 GB but it doesnt run on 3200 MHZ and it runs on 2660 MHZ. Please tell me why this is happening. The laptop doesn't have XMP but still the previous ram worked on 3200mhz . I want to have 32 gb ram with the same speed as before but the ram is not running at 3200MHZ. This is the ram I bought- (Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz DDR4 DRAM Laptop Gaming Memory Kit 32GB (16GBx2) CL16 BL2K16G32C16S4B) Please let me know soon how to fix it and if this ram doesnt work on 3200MHZ then if the problem is in the type of ram then please tell me which type of ram I can get 32gb which will run on 3200MHZ. I have attached a screenshot of the ranm after its upgraded and it shows 2660 MHZ and not 3200, please help me!!!

running at 2600MHZ! - screenshot
anyone who can help is a LEGEND!

Solution
3200MHz is OC RAM and they are not simple plug and play and would default to 2660MHz.

You will have to manually enter your SPD Timings and Voltage in Bios. Your SPD can be got from CPUz so write them down and manually enter in DRAM timing control then set the frequency to 3200MHz. Your laptop supports 3200MHz so it should work however there is no guarantee you will achieved their rated frequency.
3200MHz is OC RAM and they are not simple plug and play and would default to 2660MHz.

You will have to manually enter your SPD Timings and Voltage in Bios. Your SPD can be got from CPUz so write them down and manually enter in DRAM timing control then set the frequency to 3200MHz. Your laptop supports 3200MHz so it should work however there is no guarantee you will achieved their rated frequency.

Solution

ksvrach

Prominent
May 11, 2021

There are no settings like that in the bios I have checked it more than 20 times, bios is updates to latest version too. There are no options for xmp or so tweaked in my laptop

ksvrach

Prominent
May 11, 2021
I don’t think you read the thread I wrote
I said that it was working on 3200 before on the ram the laptop came with and now it’s on 2660 hmz on the new ram

Is there a way I can do this without xmp?
any way?

Yes I did read your original post. You changed to another kit. Just because they worked before at 3200MHz does not mean the new RAM will work at the same frequency and if you had read my post I said there is no guarantee you will attain the rated frequency with OC RAM.
Also you went from 16GB to 32GB which puts more strain on the Memory controller. It is the IMC which ultimately determines what you will achieve.

ksvrach

Prominent
May 11, 2021
So now I ordered ram from newegg because it might support it and other people have said that it will work. it is 1.2Vokts ram which will work with my laptopo.
Lets see how it goes. Some orther bpeople with the same laptop as might have bought it and it worked.

On the other hand Amazon gave me a refund for the other ram, looks like they sent me the wrong one so the one from neweegg will work.

I don’t think you read the thread I wrote
I said that it was working on 3200 before on the ram the laptop came with and now it’s on 2660 hmz on the new ram

Is there a way I can do this without xmp?
any way?

I think he did read what you wrote.

If this is a Ryzen laptop, try manually overclocking the RAM via RyzenMaster software.

Otherwise you are SOL sorry to report without memory or XMP settings in BIOS. Laptop BIOS's are sometimes programmed to recognize specific RAM brands and timings. And if they don't see a RAM brand or timing they know, they will default to lowest default speed (2660MHz in this case) As the old ram was likely OEM, the BIOS contained settings for that specific RAM allowing it to run faster by default with no intervention. This is one reason MB vendors have a certified RAM listing for motherboards. They are tested and the bios is preprogrammed for that RAM. Other brands will need to be manually entered & tweaked.

PS: There's usually some indication on the packaging or the ram sticker what the RAM speed/timing is.

fadsarmy

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
I know this is late but maybe it will help someone. Most laptops don't have XMP so the sticks must support JEDEC 3200Mhz. I know personally Kingston Fury Impact run at 3200Mhz without XMP. Just out of interest, what sticks ran at 3200Mhz before you replaced them?