Question My new CPU cooler looks too huge

mujmuj

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2015
I bought Scythe Ninja 5 CPU Air Cooler for I9-10900. I am plugging in high-end components like more than 200GB of RAM.

I bought this because I read this is quiet. But after getting it, I realized it's so big. Is it normal? If I put it onto the motherboard, doesn't it just fall off after putting the motherboard onto the case?

Does this huge size cause any problem? Or is it just good?

Lutfij

Titan
What case are you working with? Make and model of the motherboard and the rams you're using? As for the cooler, yes it's big...it didn't change in size, shape or form since it was launched into the market and after reviews by reviewers. Apart from clearance(case rear fans, top of case, ram sticks) issues, the cooler shouldn't be causing any issues.

I bought Scythe Ninja 5 CPU Air Cooler for I9-10900. I am plugging in high-end components like more than 200GB of RAM.

I bought this because I read this is quiet. But after getting it, I realized it's so big. Is it normal? If I put it onto the motherboard, doesn't it just fall off after putting the motherboard onto the case?

Does this huge size cause any problem? Or is it just good?

You have not provided enough information to determine whether or not you need a cooler anywhere near that size.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
At stock voltages, power limits removed mine can only draw about 125W. Most 120mm air coolers should cover it pretty well.

More cooling just means you have the option to remove the power limits, so larger the better. 4.6Ghz all core boost isn't to shabby across ten cores, and I do regularly see 5.2Ghz on the desktop.

As to the cooler falling off, no, even very heavy coolers can hang off the socket, the included backplate spreads the load. Has to fight the motherboard's strength, the backplate's strength, and the strength the motherboard tray has before it will give way.