[SOLVED] my new gpu gives my monitor no display

Jul 31, 2019
I have a dell optiplex 390 motherboard and i tried installing a gpu inside, gtx 960 to be exact, yesterday I've been trying all day and night to get this thing working. I followed some tutorials on how to fix a gpu that gives a monitor no signal but they don't work. I really need help, ive been waiting soo long for my gpu to arrive and use it to play games but this had to happen :( if anyone has a way to fix it please tell me, i also tried to access my bios but it takes me to system control which looks nothing like the bios i have seen on these yt tutorials, I'm guessing i have to disable intergrated graphics in bios but it seems my pc has no bios, when i plug my hdmi into the motherboard my pc works fine but when removed and plugged into gpu the screen receives no signal, i'm genuinely depressed from this, any help will be appreciated. thanks

Solution
What could be wrong with the setup, also my cpu fan and case fan are very slow

There are 4 different boot errors as evident from the screen, Power cable failure, Fan failure, HDD fan failure etc. Shut down the PC, and just open your ATX cabinet, and check ALL the connections properly, including the Power cable , CPU fan/heatsink, and other cables.

Which Power supply are you using ? Do not use the GPU for the time being. Try to only boot via the onboard graphics.
So, you cannot even access the BIOS, if you use the motherboard's onboard graphics ?? What's the latest/last BIOS version and date for this motherboard ?

Are you booting in LEGACY mode ? Could be some compatibility issue with motherboard, though I'm not fully sure. Try clearing/resetting all the CMOS/BIOS settings to default, if possible.

i also tried to access my bios but it takes me to system control which looks nothing like the bios i have seen on these yt tutorials

Can you post a picture of this screen/window ? Which keyboard KEY did you press to enter the BIOS screen ?

Jul 31, 2019
So, you cannot even access the BIOS, if you use the motherboard's onboard graphics ?? What's the latest/last BIOS version and date for this motherboard ?

Are you booting in LEGACY mode ? Could be some compatibility issue with motherboard, though I'm not fully sure. Try clearing/resetting all the CMOS/BIOS settings to default, if possible.

Can you post a picture of this screen/window ? Which keyboard KEY did you press to enter the BIOS screen ?
When booting up I have the option of f1 to continue to windows, f2 for system control and f5 to run system diagnostics, I have no way to enter bios, i should also include that I’m using intergrated graphics when using the pc, the gpu doesn’t work at all not even in the boot up, also, I’m very tired, I’ve been working on it all day, my pc is very strange, I’m getting 62-70 degrees Celsius when on Netflix, I will answer your questions later :)

What could be wrong with the setup, also my cpu fan and case fan are very slow

There are 4 different boot errors as evident from the screen, Power cable failure, Fan failure, HDD fan failure etc. Shut down the PC, and just open your ATX cabinet, and check ALL the connections properly, including the Power cable , CPU fan/heatsink, and other cables.

Which Power supply are you using ? Do not use the GPU for the time being. Try to only boot via the onboard graphics.

Solution
Jul 31, 2019

I’m using an antec earthwatt 500w, and I have replugged and plugged all cables back in around 3 times and they are properly in place, I will continue with this tomorrow since where I’m from it’s almost 00:30, please keep helping me, I really appreciate it and I will try anything you tell me to do

Reactions: Metal Messiah.