Question My new PC keeps turning off while playing games

Sep 24, 2019
I just built a new system; this is the 5th one that I have built and the first intel pc. I was playing attila total war with a friend and it just turned off; I looked a the temps and the CPU was getting 75C peak while running the game and the GPU was getting about 55C for what ever reason i do not know why my computer keeps shutting off. Here are the specs:
CPU: Intel i7-8700k
GPU: MSI 1070ti
RAM: Hyperx Predator RGB 4x8 32gb
Motherboard: MSI Z390M Gaming Edge AC
Power Supply: Corsair CX750M
Case: darkFlash Micro ATX Mini ITX Tower MicroATX Computer Case with Magnetic Design Wide Open Door Opening Swing Type Tempered Glass Side Panel (DLM21 White)

While I am typing this my temps are CPU:34C and GPU:41C; could it be the power supply?

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
I just built a new system; this is the 5th one that I have built and the first intel pc. I was playing attila total war with a friend and it just turned off; I looked a the temps and the CPU was getting 75C peak while running the game and the GPU was getting about 55C for what ever reason i do not know why my computer keeps shutting off. Here are the specs:
Case: darkFlash Micro ATX Mini ITX Tower MicroATX Computer Case with Magnetic Design Wide Open Door Opening Swing Type Tempered Glass Side Panel (DLM21 White)

While I am typing this my temps are CPU:34C and GPU:41C; could it be the power supply?

Hi @babbros

Looks like a nice solid system you have. Of course you've made sure all drivers, Win10|GPU|Audio|Chipset|Bios are all up to snuff? All cables are snug? Whats your CPU Cooler? Anything overclocked? Have you been able to replicate the crash or was it a one time deal? All 32GB of RAM are the same and a kit? As in not mixed brand/speed/timings? Have you tried running with 2x8GB to test atability? Do you have any CPU fan control software installed?

Sep 24, 2019
All the Drivers are up to date; and the Bios update was Sept. 13 of this year; CPU cooler is a Cooler master i71C but i do have the Cosair H100i radiator cooler for the CPU to see if that helps with the higher temps; I get that tomorrow. Nothing is overclocked; The crash has happened twice while playing Attila Total War with temps being below 70C for CPUand 78C for GPU; I have not tried to remove 2 sticks and see if it works just yet; but I just got off the phone with MSI and thats what the Tech guy told me to try; also the RAM that I bought is compatible with this motherboard. The CPU fan control I was able to max out using MSI bios controls. I will restart and try it with only 2 sticks of ram

Sep 24, 2019
I just tired the 2 sticks of ram and also i noticed that the fans are not running on my GPU; could that be the problem?(problem with the GPU) The temp for the GPU is 42C and the fans are not running even though i forced the fans to run all the time in the bios; is that a problem? Still waiting for the computer to crash again; i will respond when it does and or does not crash; be about an hour and a half.

Sep 24, 2019
welp computer just crashed again; crashed faster this time. Only took 21 minutes instead of almost and hour and a half. The two sticks of ram are in; I will try degrading the ram to 3100 in the bios to see if that works. If that does not do it; MSI did say i could return the motherboard and see if that is the problem. Anyone know of a motherboard that would work for an i7 8700k? Im going to try and download all the support drivers for msi motherboard and see if that does anything

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016

your PSU is an ok model so it shouldnt be a problem, but then again it may be a factory defect try to borrow a spare PSU from a friend and test it out.
it could also be the wall socket you attack your pc into maybe theres also an issue there.

temps seems fine, but what is the CPU temp right before it shuts down does it go to 100c? it maybe spiking to 100c thats why you get an auto shutdown.

also z390 would work fine with your 8700k, infact z370 and z390 are your real options to stretch the legs of your cpu.

edit: looking at your current cooler it could also be that, i cant seem to find the cooling capacity of your cooler but i assume its not much, the 8700k is a high end cpu it might not be capable of cooling it.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2019
your PSU is an ok model so it shouldnt be a problem, but then again it may be a factory defect try to borrow a spare PSU from a friend and test it out.
it could also be the wall socket you attack your pc into maybe theres also an issue there.

temps seems fine, but what is the CPU temp right before it shuts down does it go to 100c? it maybe spiking to 100c thats why you get an auto shutdown.

also z390 would work fine with your 8700k, infact z370 and z390 are your real options to stretch the legs of your cpu.

edit: looking at your current cooler it could also be that, i cant seem to find the cooling capacity of your cooler but i assume its not much, the 8700k is a high end cpu it might not be capable of cooling it.
I contacted intel and MSI and Corsair; they said that there is some type of failure either in the motherboard and or the cpu; I did try a different power supply and it still crashed the same way. Also upon talking to the support line at intel they said to return the cpu and to get a different one to rule out the cpu being a problem; MSI also advised me to return the motherboard and Corsair advised me to return the power supply and try a different one. Crazy; I have never been this stumped before; this is my 6th computer build and never have I ran into this lol thank you for everyone’s help! I do appreciate it! I will return the items and I guess retry and hopefully I won’t have a jacked motherboard and or components