[SOLVED] My new PC won't connect to 5GHz, only 2.4GHz

Jan 20, 2021
Hey everybody! How are you? My name is Jorge, this is my first post ever here! And I hope you can help me with this. 😃🙏

I built my new computer a few weeks ago. It's a Ryzen 5 3400G, Asus B450m, 16 GB DDR 3200, 1TB HD.

I use it at home, here I have 240 Mbps internet. We connect 1 laptop and 2 cellphones. All of them work fine with 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.

I first tried connecting my new PC with a cheap USB Nic for 5GHz, similar to the one in the picture. This NIC works ok with 5 GHz on two laptops I have tested.

81fQZ100swL._CR0,204,1224,1224_UX256.jpg

However, when I installed it on my new computer, it detects the 5 GHz network, full signal! But when I connect to the internet, it keeps trying to connect for a long time and then suddenly, it loses all its signal. I could use it like only 2 days.

I first thought it was something with the NIC, as it is a cheap model. I bought an internal AX200 card and installed it. But I still have exactly the same problem.

I have internet working ok on 2.4GHz, but there is no way to make it work on 5 GHz.

I installed the latest Windows 10 updates and the latest drivers for both devices. My internet provider seems to be working OK, on my phone I get internet speeds of up to 210 Mbps out of 240 using speedtest.

The computer is like 4 meters away from the router and with RJ45 cable or 2.4GHz it worked quite good.

Can you suggest anything to me? I need a better speed than with my 2.4 GHz connection! Thank you a lot and I hope you can help!!!🙏

Last edited:
Solution
internet speed tests aren't very reliable. you should definitely try a few if that's the route you are going.

What test are you using? Try several and comapre; like speedtest.net, google speed test. speed smart.

Run the speed tests on a separate device too. See if it performs better (than its your new pcs adapeter still) or the same as your new pc (then its your ISP or your router settings)

The best way to test speed test is across your internal network using iperf3. not easy to set up but not all that hard. On this test, you should be able to acheive 40% or so of your link speed.
Oct 13, 2020
What channels are you using for 5ghz? what bandwidth is it? Does the client see the 5ghz network but cant connect?

Try some other channels. You may be using DFS channels and some devices don't like that. Switch to a channel under 40 or over 144?

Jan 20, 2021
What channels are you using for 5ghz? what bandwidth is it? Does the client see the 5ghz network but cant connect?

Try some other channels. You may be using DFS channels and some devices don't like that. Switch to a channel under 40 or over 144?

Thanks, Pap. I actually have no idea about those specific topics, but using that as a reference, I will investigate and check how to switch channels.

And yes! The computer shows the 5Ghz network with full signal, but it can't connect. When I try to connect, it just goes to no signal.

Thank you.

Oct 13, 2020
Checking the channel is a pretty easy and quick thing but seems unlikely to be the culprit. I assume protocols that cause incompatibility with certain channels are tied to the adapter not the board or the OS, but I could be wrong.

Since its happened across two different adapters using two different interfaces to the board, I would think its likely a windows problem.

Also, go and check your advanced settings for your network adapter. Maybe something is enabled thats blocking 5ghz band. Not sure why it would be default enabled on two separate adapters but who knows,

Jan 20, 2021
Checking the channel is a pretty easy and quick thing but seems unlikely to be the culprit. I assume protocols that cause incompatibility with certain channels are tied to the adapter not the board or the OS, but I could be wrong.

Since its happened across two different adapters using two different interfaces to the board, I would think its likely a windows problem.

Also, go and check your advanced settings for your network adapter. Maybe something is enabled thats blocking 5ghz band. Not sure why it would be default enabled on two separate adapters but who knows,

Thanks a lot! I could access to my router settings and could test Channel 36. It now connects, but the connection is quite unstable and very slow (speedtest shows only 2 Mbps).

What would you recommend me to check on Windows?

I will keep checking on the settings of the router! thank you!!!

Oct 13, 2020
try channel 42 or 155. What router do you have?

you can also use inssider or wifi analyzer softwares to confirm channel traffic (not sure how wifi dense your area is) and channel bandwidth. You ideal want to operature 5.8ghz band with 80mhz bandwidth for best speed.

Jan 20, 2021
try channel 42 or 155. What router do you have?

you can also use inssider or wifi analyzer softwares to confirm channel traffic (not sure how wifi dense your area is) and channel bandwidth. You ideal want to operature 5.8ghz band with 80mhz bandwidth for best speed.

It doesn't have any of those channels, I tested 153 and at first it recognized a nice speed, 243 Mbps! But it showed an error message when uploading on speedtest. Then when I repeat the process, it works fine, just slow, at 35 Mbps download / 10 Mbps upload.

My router is Arris, I don't remember the model right now, it was the Internet provider that gave me this. I haven't used these softwares you are mentioning, but I will check right now!

Oct 13, 2020
internet speed tests aren't very reliable. you should definitely try a few if that's the route you are going.

What test are you using? Try several and comapre; like speedtest.net, google speed test. speed smart.

Run the speed tests on a separate device too. See if it performs better (than its your new pcs adapeter still) or the same as your new pc (then its your ISP or your router settings)

The best way to test speed test is across your internal network using iperf3. not easy to set up but not all that hard. On this test, you should be able to acheive 40% or so of your link speed.

Solution
Jan 20, 2021

Thank you a lot my friend! I will do that. It seems that now on channel 153 it is working quite good. I think it is too early to celebrate, but I just loaded an 8k video on Youtube just fine!

You are a hero dude! I will perform those tests and keep an eye on what you told me, but thanks a lot, really!