Question My new PC's network speeds are much faster with WiFi than with Ethernet Cat 6a (Tripp Lite authentic) ?

Apr 11, 2024
I got my Windows 11 PC about 3 months ago brand new and i just moved to a rural area a year ago so i am stuck with T-Mobile home internet for the time being. I noticed when running tests that my connection mainly upload speeds are over 40x faster than with ethernet. The problem with gaming with the WIFI is that during games my WIFI will randomly disconnect sometimes for no reason at all, my phone doesnt do this that i know of so it is out of the question unless i find out how to stop the WiFi disconnecting. This is my first PC since 2009 so I don;t know much about Windows unless its Windows 98 or XP. I am using Google DNS and have both IPv4 and IPv6 set up on the proper channels, but this problem was occurring before i switched to Google as my DNS, it was actually a little slower. My specs are as follows

Intel 12th Gen i7-12700F 2.10 GHz
16gb RAM DDR5
Nvidia 3070

Specs for my Ethernet that i don't know if they will help anyone figure out what may be causing this issue:

Link speed (receive/transmit): 1000/1000 (Mbps)
IP assignment: Automatic (DHCP)
Manufacturer: Killer
Description: Killer E3100G 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet Controller

I have my "Ethernet authentication settings" set to off, it says "Enable IEEE 802.1X authentication."
Metered connection is also off, also at the top oi my Ethernet settings, I have it set to "Public network (recommended)" instead of "Private Network"

Any help or something i can do as a novice will be more than greatly appreciated, it would mean the world to me, seeing that i am stuck with the fasted internet 200mbps max (T-Mobiles claim) because my house is newly built. I will add 2 imgur images of my speedtest results, Each test that has upload speeds under 4mbps is when im only connected to Ethernet and the tests that show me with over 35mbps upload is when i am connected to WiFi. Thank you for taking the time to help if you can.

kanewolf

Titan
I got my PC about 3 months ago brand new, its a Windows 11 and i just moved to a rural area a year ago so i am stuck with T-Mobile home internet for the time being. I noticed when running tests that my connection mainly upload speeds are over 40x faster than with ethernet. The problem with gaming with the WIFI is that during games my WIFI will randomly disconnect sometimes for no reason at all, my phone doesnt do this that i know of so it is out of the question unless i find out how to keep the WIFI connected always. This is my first PC since 2009 so I don;t know much about windows unless its Windows 98 or XP. I am using Google DNS and have both IPv4 and IPv6 set up on the proper channels, but this problem was occurring before i switched to Google as my DNS, it was actually a little slower. My specs are as follows

Intel 12th Gen i7-12700F 2.10 GHz
16gb RAM DDR5
Nvidia 3070

Specs for my Ethernet that i don't know if they will help anyone figure out what may be causing this issue:

Link speed (receive/transmit): 1000/1000 (Mbps)
IP assignment: Automatic (DHCP)
Manufacturer: Killer
Description: Killer E3100G 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet Controller

I have my "Ethernet authentication settings" set to off, it says "Enable IEEE 802.1X authentication."
Metered connection is also off, also at the top oi my Ethernet settings, I have it set to "Public network (recommended)" instead of "Private Network"

Any help or something i can do as a novice will be more than greatly appreciated, it would mean the world to me, seeing that i am stuck with the fasted internet 200mbps max (T-Mobiles claim) because my house is newly built. I will add 2 imgur images of my speedtest results, Each test that has upload speeds under 4mbps is when im only connected to Ethernet and the tests that show me with over 35mbps upload is when i am connected to WiFi. Thank you for taking the time to help if you can.
Since you have a "Killer" ethernet port do you have any network "optimization" software loaded or anything besides the killer driver loaded? That kind of software will limit traffic and show lower speedtest results.
It is also possible that your 2.5Gb ethernet driver needs to be updated. There were lots of issues with 2.5Gb ethernet drivers at first.

Reactions: lantis3
Apr 11, 2024
Since you have a "Killer" ethernet port do you have any network "optimization" software loaded or anything besides the killer driver loaded? That kind of software will limit traffic and show lower speedtest results.
It is also possible that your 2.5Gb ethernet driver needs to be updated. There were lots of issues with 2.5Gb ethernet drivers at first.
I have no clue how i would check if i have any other driver downloaded, but i haven't downloaded anything involving software besides MSI Afterburner and i do not run it anymore because it was taking up too much memory on my task manager. How would i go about updating my 2.5gb driver? I feel so confused because back in my day (2007-2010), ethernet trumped WiFi and i just feel so defeated, i have done everything safe in terms of avoiding any possibility of slowing down my PC, i only have 1 game and don't download any random thing i see like i used to as a teenager.

My PC is a Dell Alienware R13 if that is any help to you. When i look at my installed apps under my settings and type in "Killer", 3 apps are "found" :

1. Killer Wireless Driver UWD
2. Killer Ethernet Performance Driver Suite UWD
3. Killer Intelligence Center.

The third one says its by "INTEL CORP" and the first two say they are by "Rivet Networks" .
All were installed the day i set up my PC.

kanewolf

Titan
I have no clue how i would check if i have any other driver downloaded, but i haven't downloaded anything involving software besides MSI Afterburner and i do not run it anymore because it was taking up too much memory on my task manager. How would i go about updating my 2.5gb driver? I feel so confused because back in my day (2007-2010), ethernet trumped WiFi and i just feel so defeated, i have done everything safe in terms of avoiding any possibility of slowing down my PC, i only have 1 game and don't download any random thing i see like i used to as a teenager. My PC is a Alienware R13 if that is any help to you. When i look at my installed apps under my settings and type in "Killer" 3 apps are "found" 1. Killer Wireless Driver UWD 2. Killer Ethernet Performance Driver Suite UWD 3. Killer Intelligence Center. With the third one saying its by "INTEL CORP" and the first two saying they are by "Rivet Networks" all were installed the day i set up my PC.
Killer Intelligence Center would be the first thing I would look at. The "Ethernet Performance Driver Suite" could have things in it that limit speedtest.
Just because speedtest is slower, do you actually notice any network performance issues in real life use ?
Since that PC is a Dell (Alienware) they are pretty good about nagging for you to do updates.
Here is ths support page -- https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/alienware-aurora-r13-desktop/drivers

Apr 11, 2024
Killer Intelligence Center would be the first thing I would look at. The "Ethernet Performance Driver Suite" could have things in it that limit speedtest.
Just because speedtest is slower, do you actually notice any network performance issues in real life use ?
Since that PC is a Dell (Alienware) they are pretty good about nagging for you to do updates.
Here is ths support page -- https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/alienware-aurora-r13-desktop/drivers
I just now figured out how to access the "Killer Intelligence Center" and downloaded "Intel Driver and support" to see what drivers needed updating and 3 things needed updating, "Intel® Wireless Bluetooth," "Intel Wireless WiFi Drivers," and "Intel Killer Performance Suite." All but the Killer Performance Suite would install and it popped up a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark saying "Killer Performance Driver Suite UWD cannot be installed with Killer Ethernet Performance Suite."

The Killer Intelligence Center is working fine, its still running slower, even when i check it with the Killer app speed test, this time my upload speeds were less that 0.2mbps. I don't know if i should uninstall everything and reinstall or what or why Killer Performance Driver Suite UWD is different than Killer Ethernet Performance Suite? I'm more confused now than before i found out all this stuff :confused_old:

Apr 11, 2024
About the imgur images:

One image is time stamped 2/10/2024 and the other is time stamped 4/5/2024.

Are those older screenshots or current: i.e., just prior to being posted?
One was when i first bought the computer and the recent one was from right before i posted this. Nothing in terms of hardware or internet has changed since i bought this PC.

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model model information: modem, router, or modem/router if combined?

= = = =

My suggestion to use Task Manager, Resource Monitor, and Process Explorer (Microsoft, free) to get a sense of what apps, etc. are running and what resources any given app is consuming.

Use all three tools but only one tool at a time.

Look at all three Killer apps per @kanewolf. Watch for what changes when network performance/speeds change.

However, there may be other apps, utilities, etc. involved so keep an eye out accordingly.

Also: run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Copy and paste the results here.

FYI:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Apr 11, 2024
I fixed it! The problem (at least connection test wise) so idk if it will help anyone in the future who is experiencing an issue like this. I went to the Killer Intelligence Center and clicked on the settings icon, there i found something that was turned on automatically by default called "Killer Prioritization Engine" and turned it off. My wired connection speeds after that were the same, if not faster than my wifi speed. Decided to test the setting by turning it back on and what do you know, my wired speeds dropped back down to less than 1 mbps upload again. Thank you to everyone and all your feedback, it was extremely helpful and greatly appreciated. I hope this can help someone experiencing the same problem in the future can find a solution like I did.

Apr 11, 2024
You were exactly right, turns out when i turned the "Killer Prioritization Engine" off, my speeds were equal between WiFi and ethernet. Do you know what the point of a program that is meant to help connections would have something automatically turned on by default that slows down wired connection to over 33x slower than WiFi speed?

kanewolf

Titan
I fixed it! The problem (at least connection test wise) so idk if it will help anyone in the future who is experiencing an issue like this. I went to the Killer Intelligence Center and clicked on the settings icon, there i found something that was turned on automatically by default called "Killer Prioritization Engine" and turned it off. My wired connection speeds after that were the same, if not faster than my wifi speed. Decided to test the setting by turning it back on and what do you know, my wired speeds dropped back down to less than 1 mbps upload again. Thank you to everyone and all your feedback, it was extremely helpful and greatly appreciated. I hope this can help someone experiencing the same problem in the future can find a solution like I did.
Exactly what I said in post #5...