Question My new RTX 4090 is underperforming ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Maebius

Splendid
Feb 17, 2017
G-sync and v-sync is diabled in game settings are set to unlimited + nvidia control panel I have prefer high performance enabled. I have cyberpunk im going to install it just le me know what should I do exactly once I have it up and running
Just put the graphics settings to Ultra, test on the 1440p@240Hz monitor, while the others are unplugged, not just turned off.
Test without raytracing first, to establish a "baseline", enable raytracing next and benchmark agtain and after that check with pathtracing enabled.
We're just science-ing now, to check if you can increase your card's power draw while gaming.
If you have Phantom Liberty, this (and the next page) is a good reference link to check if your performance is as expected.

Nosphere

Reputable
Feb 7, 2021
Just put the graphics settings to Ultra, test on the 1440p@240Hz monitor, while the others are unplugged, not just turned off.
Test without raytracing first, to establish a "baseline", enable raytracing next and benchmark agtain and after that check with pathtracing enabled.
We're just science-ing now, to check if you can increase your card's power draw while gaming.
If you have Phantom Liberty, this (and the next page) is a good reference link to check if your performance is as expected.
okay I tested a lot of games and here are the results, let me know If you see anything out of the ordinary or anything suspicious I'm happy to investigate

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1lb4Uqci8x7ntpm5KaIQt2EKN19y-WarS?usp=sharing

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Download and run hwinfo. Select sensors only, and click all the drop-down arrows in the section for the gpu(voltage, rail powers, D3D usage, Perf limiters). Set hwinfo aside on one of your secondary monitors.
Play your game(s), and post some shots of hwinfo.

Nosphere

Reputable
Feb 7, 2021
Download and run hwinfo. Select sensors only, and click all the drop-down arrows in the section for the gpu(voltage, rail powers, D3D usage, Perf limiters). Set hwinfo aside on one of your secondary monitors.
Play your game(s), and post some shots of hwinfo.
here you go

this was during 1 game of "the finals" power shift game mode which is really intense graphically
https://ibb.co/XFgtXhv

also here is a hwinfo chart after a good furmark stresstest run

https://ibb.co/jvDmBd1

Last edited:
It's acting a lot like you're CPU limited though your system should not be and UBM for all its faults doesn't show any indicator of it being so. The CP2077 results show a large amount of increased power consumption (relative to low) with the settings being increased and NFS shows similar behavior. This would all usually point at a CPU issue of some sort which there's of course no indication of.

You might want to try uninstalling all vendor control software be it motherboard/video card/chipset. Get the latest standalone drivers before you do that so you can easily reinstall everything.

This just doesn't really appear to be a hardware situation as it performs mostly as expected in standalone graphics benchmarks.

Nosphere

Reputable
Feb 7, 2021
GOT THE ANSWER!
the 2024 april bios update for my MSI B650 Tomahawk wifi was buggin and even tho I set my PCIE pwer saving to OFF it was still making the socket stuck at x1.1 SO I reverted to a 2023 December BIOS and it started working on GEN 3 but still not GEN 4 for some reason. I'm going to get a new mobo in the coming months, but now I have normal power usage

TheHerald

Upstanding
Feb 15, 2024
Yeah Im clueless I tested it with other games like battlefield 2042 and apex legends and I encountered the same issue Its just simply not pulling more then 200W gpu-z power limit is set to 475W Im going to run TimeSpy to see whatsup
That's because you are probably cpu bound? What resolution are you playing at?