Question My new SSD ?

May 25, 2024
Hi guys,
I have a few questions.

I just found a cheap off brand SSD, and it has 1 million MTBF and a 5 year warranty, so can ya'll plz explain what MTBF means and as i dont have its TBW, how many months of reliablity I can expect from that drive?

Also,

I use a Kingston Exodia DataTraveler 32GB that i purchased a year ago, I run a portable Opera Browser on it, the Pendrive has a 5 Year warranty, but I am worried cuz due to my work, I usually write abt 8GB of data on the Pendrive a day, so should I be worried or the drive being Kingston last a year more atleast out of 5 years?

Thank You for your help !

USAFRet

Titan
Hi guys,
I have a few questions.

I just found a cheap off brand SSD, and it has 1 million MTBF and a 5 year warranty, so can ya'll plz explain what MTBF means and as i dont have its TBW, how many months of reliablity I can expect from that drive?

Also,

I use a Kingston Exodia DataTraveler 32GB that i purchased a year ago, I run a portable Opera Browser on it, the Pendrive has a 5 Year warranty, but I am worried cuz due to my work, I usually write abt 8GB of data on the Pendrive a day, so should I be worried or the drive being Kingston last a year more atleast out of 5 years?

Thank You for your help !
Make/model of this new SSD?

MTBF = Mean Time Before Failure.

Basically, only relevant on a fleetwide basis.
Your particular dive may last years, or it may die next week.

With an off-brand device, the thing you need to consider is warranty support. If/when it dies, will the manufacturer stand by it?
That is why I do NOT buy off brand storage devices.

And always....a good backup routine is key.

May 25, 2024
Make/model of this new SSD?

MTBF = Mean Time Before Failure.

Basically, only relevant on a fleetwide basis.
Your particular dive may last years, or it may die next week.

With an off-brand device, the thing you need to consider is warranty support. If/when it dies, will the manufacturer stand by it?
That is why I do NOT buy off brand storage devices.

And always....a good backup routine is key.
Like I said I FOUND this off brand SSD, I just read abt it online and some site said it has 1 million MTBF so I was wondering what that is, rest assured, my all imp files are on a WD SSD, but i was just wondering that if i could use this ssd to replace my Pendrive to transport unimportant files, without it f'ing me up for atleast a while

Like I said I FOUND this off brand SSD, I just read abt it online and some site said it has 1 million MTBF so I was wondering what that is, rest assured, my all imp files are on a WD SSD, but i was just wondering that if i could use this ssd to replace my Pendrive to transport unimportant files, without it f'ing me up for atleast a while
MBTF is usually expressed in work hours expected to live without developing problems.Normally coincides with warranty.
SSDs are usually more reliable than comparable pen-drives because of lower transistor density. Larger capacity in both types means longer life and larger TBW.
Ps.
Just because it's "off-brand" may not mean bad quality. There are just few chip manufacturers (both controller and memory) which can be and are used by others to assemble a drive.

Last edited:
MBTF is usually expressed in work hours expected to live without developing problems.Normally coincides with warranty.
SSDs are usually more reliable than comparable pen-drives because of lower transistor density. Larger capacity in both types means longer life and larger TBW.