My Nvidia MX150 throttles at 63 degrees. How do I stop this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adamski

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
Laptop is an Hp envy 13 w/ i5 8250u and 8gb of ram. My cpu is happy up to 80 degrees and the manufacturer default limit is 94 degrees on the mx150. So why is the current limit on my card so low?

I can't increase the limit through the bios or afterburner. Is there some other way I could increase the temp it starts to throttle at?

Thanks in advance

Solution
Yessss!!! I solved it! thanks for responses guys

Anyone looking here with a similar problem go to hp command centre and turn on the power thermal profile. Max temp increases to 92 from 63 much much better performance

4745454b

Titan
? Why would you want to force it to run hotter? Someone somewhere decided that 63C was the limit. Might have been HP. Unless you are smarter than the people who built your laptop I wouldn't override the settings they put in place. Find a way to increase the cooling for the unit. That way it doesn't throttle.

Which BIOS do you have? What is the latest BIOS available for the board in that laptop?

You can use MSI AB and change the Thermal Throttle option.

Please be aware that your PC does a LOT to protect itself. When the user changes those safety features unsafe things can happen so any change is your responsibility. Changing thermal limits is dangerous enough on a desktop. Within a laptop there is a LOT less cooling so.....

Are you certain this is thermal throttling? Nvidia's GPU Boost has its own thermal wall so while you may see a MHz and FPS reduction the cause may be GPU Boost. Is the reduction below the stock speed for the MX150?

Adamski

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013

GPU ID states that thermal throttling is the issue, it also lists 63 degrees as the current max temperature and 94 as the default. Stock speed is around 1100mhz but when it hits 63 it will bottom out to around 300mhz for a couple of seconds (rendering it worse than intel hd). Can you elaborate on how to change the thermal throttle solution on afterburner.

Also to 4745454b Im aware higher temperatures will reduce life span of the components and is beyond what hp has set but 63 is a very low thermal limit (around 10 lower than similar laptops) so yes i feel hp has been far too conservative.

4745454b

Titan
You don't know the thermal aspects of that case however. They designed the case and heatsink cooling. 94C might be the default, but HP designed the cooling. They know how good the heatsink is, they know the airflow the of the case. Yes, there is some room up I'm sure. But they set it there for a reason. A good reason.

Sep 9, 2018
Clock your GPU a little slower. That way you won’t hit the temp limit/at least not as fast. It’s not ideal, but keep in mind that laptops are not meant to be reaching high temps without adequate cooling. While I agree that maybe the Temp limit is too conservative, at least HP is trying to make it more reliable. Bump down the core clock some.

Adamski

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
Yessss!!! I solved it! thanks for responses guys

Anyone looking here with a similar problem go to hp command centre and turn on the power thermal profile. Max temp increases to 92 from 63 much much better performance

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.