HT clock: 2400mhz (12.0x)
Bus clock:stock 200
it is good? im noob in oc lol
motherboard m5a78l m plus
power supply 600 thermaltake
cooler master 240 masterliquid lite

Last edited:
Solution
There's 2 kinds of hardware deaths. Physical and software. Unfortunately the FX series is fast reaching both. There are already multiple games the FX isn't physically capable of playing, no matter what core count or speeds are involved, simply because they don't support certain instruction sets the games make extensive use of.

That's only going to continue as games get more advanced and require more to pack in the punch. Used to be nobody used AVX and AVX 2 wasn't even a thought. Now, AVX offers greater processing capacity and is being used in more games, replacing older, slower, less capable instructions.

The FX had @ 2/3rds the IPC of a 3rd gen Intel i5-3570k. Now instead of 66% capacity, it's closer to 200% defecit compared to...
It's like 100mhz above the default boost frequency, so it's really a very small difference.

Most FX-8320 and 8350 CPUs I've overclocked or helped to overclock have been easily capable of a 4.5Ghz OC if you have a good board and a good power supply, not to mention a good CPU sample. That hardware is getting so old now though that I'd be tempted to tell you not to bother trying to press your luck. If you're just looking at a 100mhz overclock, you'd probably be better off just returning it to the stock configuration.

Important things to know though.

CPU cooler model?

Power supply model?

Motherboard model?

Those are the determining factors on where you can realistically go from here, if anywhere.

Mar 5, 2021
It's like 100mhz above the default boost frequency, so it's really a very small difference.

Most FX-8320 and 8350 CPUs I've overclocked or helped to overclock have been easily capable of a 4.5Ghz OC if you have a good board and a good power supply, not to mention a good CPU sample. That hardware is getting so old now though that I'd be tempted to tell you not to bother trying to press your luck. If you're just looking at a 100mhz overclock, you'd probably be better off just returning it to the stock configuration.

Important things to know though.

CPU cooler model?

Power supply model?

Motherboard model?

Those are the determining factors on where you can realistically go from here, if anywhere.
Update i set to 4.2ghz(x21) with 1.350 voltage

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'd try 4.5GHz at 1.375v. The sweet spot is the MHz right before needing more than 0.0125v more for each 100MHz.

Just make sure you use AMD Overdrive or Core Temp set for Thermal Margins. They are the Only way to accurately guage temp ability. Do not rely on an actual temp reading, that's impossible with the FX cpus.

Thermal margins are a mean number of what's left in the cpu. Basically a TM in the 40's means you've got plenty of thermal headroom left, 30's is a light load, 20's is normal average gaming loads, 10's is getting very warm, single digits is maxing the cpu thermally, and 0 or negative numbers is danger zone. Because loads change, core use changes etc, that number can change depending on what you are doing.

Use Prime95 v26.6 small fft test for temps. That'll give a good 100% cpu baseline maximum.

If the voltages are too high, the clock speeds too high, your TM will be too close to 0. You want that number to be in the in the teens. That'll put gaming loads in the 20's.

Any temp test on a liquid cooler needs to be run for @ 30 minutes.

Stability use Asus RealBench. Stress test 30minutes +.

If you can get Prime95 in 20-10 TM, and pass ARB for an hour, consider your OC successful and about as good as its going to get, regardless if it's 4.1GHz or 4.5GHz.

OC is about getting the best, fastest, stable, safe performance from your equipment, not the actual number you can hit.

I've seen FX 8350 at 5.1GHz, stable, with monster cooling, but I'd not push the 1.5v+ it required for a daily OC.

Mar 5, 2021
I'd try 4.5GHz at 1.375v. The sweet spot is the MHz right before needing more than 0.0125v more for each 100MHz.

Just make sure you use AMD Overdrive or Core Temp set for Thermal Margins. They are the Only way to accurately guage temp ability. Do not rely on an actual temp reading, that's impossible with the FX cpus.

Thermal margins are a mean number of what's left in the cpu. Basically a TM in the 40's means you've got plenty of thermal headroom left, 30's is a light load, 20's is normal average gaming loads, 10's is getting very warm, single digits is maxing the cpu thermally, and 0 or negative numbers is danger zone. Because loads change, core use changes etc, that number can change depending on what you are doing.

Use Prime95 v26.6 small fft test for temps. That'll give a good 100% cpu baseline maximum.

If the voltages are too high, the clock speeds too high, your TM will be too close to 0. You want that number to be in the in the teens. That'll put gaming loads in the 20's.

Any temp test on a liquid cooler needs to be run for @ 30 minutes.

Stability use Asus RealBench. Stress test 30minutes +.

If you can get Prime95 in 20-10 TM, and pass ARB for an hour, consider your OC successful and about as good as its going to get, regardless if it's 4.1GHz or 4.5GHz.

OC is about getting the best, fastest, stable, safe performance from your equipment, not the actual number you can hit.

I've seen FX 8350 at 5.1GHz, stable, with monster cooling, but I'd not push the 1.5v+ it required for a daily OC.
yesterday i finally set to x21 and the voltage to 1.360 and on prime95 for like 10-15 min i got 0 error 0 warning but i will saw that so thx dude
UPDATE: after 20 min i got hardware error so i up this to 1.370

Last edited:
motherboard m5a78l m plus
power supply 600 thermaltake
cooler master 240 masterliquid lite
I'm going to tell you you're getting really risky with the VRM on that board. It's a 3 phase and no cooling at all on the FET's. The only good thing is Asus boards have pretty good protection so it will probably just start throttling the CPU heavily to keep from burning up.

I had an M5a88m, with pretty much the same VRM, and it would throttle my FX6300 (6 semi-cores) at about 4.5ghz. I can't imagine your FX8320, with 8 semi-cores, will stay at full speed for very long in heavy loads at 4.4Ghz or above.

When it throttles it will drop CPU clocks to as low as 800Mhz or so for 5-10 sec's or until the FET's cool down a bit. If you don't notice it throttling you might think it's just fine and keep pushing until it just burns up before it can throttle itself.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Don't forget to monitor the thermal margins. They are important.

OC is more than just the voltage. There's LLC, ring voltages, SA agent, NB voltages etc that will also need to be looked at. They provide the stability and support of the voltage going to the cpu. It's a balancing act.

OC is like tuning an engine to give higher performance, more HP and torque and speed when you step on the gas pedal. But you must also think about the tires, with all that added power the car will be useless on grandma's skinny cruisers, you'll need something better to grab the road.
View: https://youtu.be/MckeAmnDeTk
View: https://youtu.be/YdUrVHSmV6I

Last edited:
Just stop.

That board is IN NO WAY, EVER, good enough to even be running that CPU on, AT THE STOCK configuration, much less overclocked in any way. You WILL burn up that board, guaranteed. I've seen plenty of these low end chipset boards that, sure, "worked", but inevitably something will fail on the board especially if you are trying to overclock on it but potentially even at the stock configuration.

Tier Two: Poor quality. Bad power phases and no heatsinks on VRM make this tier more like ‘lowest’ tier for AM3+ boards, not advisable for FX 6 or 8. No Crossfire/ SLI capability. In all probability, you’d not want to have them unless you must get one of them.

M5A78L-M PLUS
GA-78LMT-S2P
GA-78LMT-S2PV
GA-78LMT-S2
760GM-P23 (FX)
960GM/U3S3 FX
760GM-P34(FX)
880GM-LE FX
980DE3/U3S3
760GMA-P34(FX)
M5A78L-M LX
M5A78L- LE

These are really the ONLY boards you want to target if you are planning to overclock any of the 8 core FX CPUs safely.

(Be sure to check when looking for a motherboard that any of the models shown below are either 990fx, 990 or 970 chipsets. A Z170 Extreme6 for example, is not going to work with your FX processor, so, in this example, you want to look for the 990/990fx Extreme6.)

GA-990FXA-UD7
Extreme6
Extreme9
Fatal1ty 990FX Professional
Crosshair V Formula-Z
Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
GA-99FXA-UD5
MSI GD80V2
M5A99FX PRO R2.0
GA-99FXA-UD3
MSI GD65V2
990FX Killer
Extreme4
M5A99X EVO (R2.0 as well)
GA-990XA-UD3
990XA-GD55
GA-970A-UD3P
M5A97 or EVO or PRO (R.2 as well)
GA-970A-UD3
970 GAMING
970A SLI Krait (USB 3.1 supported)

Reactions: Karadjgne
Mar 5, 2021
1 thanks everybody and i set like 4.2ghz i will never set higher 4.2ghz and i saw someone with the same mother board set to 4.4ghz so i was like wtf and i set the voltage at 1.39 after i run prime95 for like 15min and no crash no blue screen nothing so idk if it good lol but i think yes

Mar 9, 2021
I'll be 100% honest, turn off your OC asap. I had an M5A97 R2.0 with an 8320 clocked up to 4.42ghz stable for 6 hours running every cpu test I could find. It burned up my mobo right about 1 year of use. That's a 970 chipset that I chewed up using the same CPU as you and only 200mhz higher than you are pushing on that little 780 chipset. And I had large heat sinks all over my mobo on everything possible to fit one.

Mar 5, 2021
I'll be 100% honest, turn off your OC asap. I had an M5A97 R2.0 with an 8320 clocked up to 4.42ghz stable for 6 hours running every cpu test I could find. It burned up my mobo right about 1 year of use. That's a 970 chipset that I chewed up using the same CPU as you and only 200mhz higher than you are pushing on that little 780 chipset. And I had large heat sinks all over my mobo on everything possible to fit one.
but if i set at 3.8ghz or 3.9ghz? it gonna burn?

Mar 9, 2021
but if i set at 3.8ghz or 3.9ghz? it gonna burn?
If it was me in your situation I would set it to 3.7 or 3.8 and undervolt it as much as you can and stay stable. The voltage will be main cause of damage to your board. Those little chipsets weren't really designed to handle much over a 6xxx series cpu. Personally if I was to give guidelines on what the various chipsets could handle, the one you're on I would say moderate overclocking on 4xxx CPUs or stock 6xxx CPUs. For an 8xxx cpu 970 would be best for light overclocking but 990 for pushing the chip. I have a M5A99 EVO R2 I'm putting in my rig right now because I'm pushing it fairly hard as a daily use.

Mar 5, 2021
If it was me in your situation I would set it to 3.7 or 3.8 and undervolt it as much as you can and stay stable. The voltage will be main cause of damage to your board. Those little chipsets weren't really designed to handle much over a 6xxx series cpu. Personally if I was to give guidelines on what the various chipsets could handle, the one you're on I would say moderate overclocking on 4xxx CPUs or stock 6xxx CPUs. For an 8xxx cpu 970 would be best for light overclocking but 990 for pushing the chip. I have a M5A99 EVO R2 I'm putting in my rig right now because I'm pushing it fairly hard as a daily use.
Ok thxx

Mar 9, 2021
Best of luck, I really hope it holds out for you. I have a friend that is running an 8350 on a low chipset aswell and has noticed deteriorating performance from board fatigue at stock settings. He is now undervolting to try to slow the decay and prolong its life. This is why I'm advising you to do it from the start, with a little luck you might be able to completely avoid the long term damage of over running lower chipset capacity.

Realistically the gains from over clocking any FX chip is minimal unless you go crazy due to the architecture so, setting yours halfway between base and turbo you wont really notice a loss of performance and will most likely get a lot longer play time and enjoyment for your money.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's 2 kinds of hardware deaths. Physical and software. Unfortunately the FX series is fast reaching both. There are already multiple games the FX isn't physically capable of playing, no matter what core count or speeds are involved, simply because they don't support certain instruction sets the games make extensive use of.

That's only going to continue as games get more advanced and require more to pack in the punch. Used to be nobody used AVX and AVX 2 wasn't even a thought. Now, AVX offers greater processing capacity and is being used in more games, replacing older, slower, less capable instructions.

The FX had @ 2/3rds the IPC of a 3rd gen Intel i5-3570k. Now instead of 66% capacity, it's closer to 200% defecit compared to current intel/Ryzen cpus. Newer games are based on modern tech capabilities, and the FX is years behind. It's no longer tortoise vs rabbit, it's sloth vs rocket sled.

Reactions: shadow412
Solution