Question My Passport malfunctions only in specific computer

talefrima

Honorable
Jul 14, 2016
Hey people,

I have an external 4GB WD My Passport Ultra which isn't working correctly on my computer, but works all fine on other computers.
When I connect the drive the usb port immediately recognizes it and shows it in the device manager, but it takes a minute or so for the drive to show up on “This PC” folder in order to access it. While using the drive, data transfers can take a lot of time or just freezes in the middle. If data transfers do manage to finish, then most of time the transferred data is corrupted. Sometimes even simple actions on the drive, like renaming a folder, makes everything freeze. Also, the drive makes single click sound every minute or so, even if I’m not currently using it.
I don’t have a clue why it’s not working properly and making those sounds only on my machine, but works perfectly on other computers. Other usb devices and even other external drives, like wd elements drive, work fine on my machine.
My specs: windows 10, asus p5e motherboard with usb 2.0 ports, ocz stealthxtream 600w psu.

Things I’ve already tried:
  • Using the drive on 3 other computers (all have Windows 10), some of them are older and weaker than my machine. Some even have only usb 1.0 ports and still everything works flawlessly.
  • Using different cable
  • Tried all of my machine’s 12 usb ports.
  • Disconnecting all usb devices except this external drive. Doing so would make the clicking sounds less frequent.
  • Disconnecting 2 of my 3 internal drives in order to “free up” psu power.
  • Cleaning dust and reconnecting all hardware.
  • Changing Windows’ power plans.
  • Tried chkdsk utility, windows’ drive error checking, SMART check, WD diagnostics tool – all giving errors only after I’m transferring some data with my machine. Connecting the drive to those 3 computers mentioned above lets me fix all the errors (even bad sectors error) and use the drive (until I plug it again to mine and the cycle continues..).
  • Removing and updating usb drivers and wd my passport drivers.
  • Virus check.
I suspect it’s something related to power but I’m not getting power surge messages from Windows so I really can’t think about any new ideas.

Please help.
Thanks Ahead!

talefrima

Honorable
Jul 14, 2016
I'm using AMD Radeon HD 7950.
Not sure about the psu, maybe 8 years old, but it works fine except this weird problem.
And yeah, heavy graphics use, but not while trying to use the drive. I close everthing when i'm checking it.