[SOLVED] My PC after installing a new PSU turns on for a split second and then off immediately, why?

Lazyboy10

Honorable
Jun 23, 2015
Hello peeps,

So I built my PC a good 5-7 years ago now and it has ran amazingly up until the last year or so. My PSU began creating a very loud and obnoxious noise. I attempted to clean and de-dust everything but the noise persisted. Thefore I decided to purchase a brand new one of the exact same model and Wattage. I disassembled and reassembled my whole set up but once I tried booting up my PC, it doesn't turn on. It will flash my led lights and I hear it go on for a split second but will immediately turn off. If I try doing it again, nothing happens. I've searched and looked this issue up and it seems like a lot of others have had the issue. It can't be a PSU issue cause its brand new so I'm not sure what to do now. I've also of course rechecked all cables and connections to make sure they're right. Could it be short circuiting somewhere and how would I even solve that?

This is my current Set up as well: Https://pcpartpicker.com/user/GookLord/saved/#view=LsjZcf

Solution
It's not the problem here, but it's also a junky PSU, so you don't want it in there after we hopefully resolve the issue.

When diagnosing a PC, it's best to simplify things. By completely removing the GPU, we eliminate a GPU power issue being part of the problem. Generally speaking, and if that doesn't work, then also boot with only one RAM stick and only the OS drive installed.
It can't be a PSU issue cause its brand new
many components come with manufacturing defects,
may randomly malfunction upon first use,
or just may not be high enough quality to be relied upon at all.
PSU began creating a very loud and obnoxious noise. I attempted to clean and de-dust everything but the noise persisted
considering that your previous power supply, supposedly of the same make & model, also malfunctioned;
i would just assume this is a low quality product altogether.

include your complete system specs here in the thread.

Lazyboy10

Honorable
Jun 23, 2015
Thanks for responding,

So I think what I will do is, reinstall my old PSU to see if whether or not it is the new PSU's issue. What if the problem persists with my older PSU, what could the issue be then? Also, I just realized that the new PSU is not the identical one from my older one. Could that be an issue?

This is my complete build I created when I first built it. Only things that I changed is 16gb of Ram now and different peripherals.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/GookLord/saved/#view=WZ6Ff7

just realized that the new PSU is not the identical one from my older one. Could that be an issue?
no, unless it is just a similar low quality product that cannot handle the task.

exact make & model have nothing to do with whether a particular power supply will be compatible with your particular system or cause issue.

it is build quality, wattage supplied, and available connections that determine if it is adequate for your system.
This is my complete build
as i already stated,
include your complete system specs HERE in the thread.
not some link that needs to be chased to a 3rd party site.

Lazyboy10

Honorable
Jun 23, 2015
Okay, well I have done some installing and reinstalling of the old PSU and it worked completely fine. I then once again reinstalled the newer PSU and it again had the same issue of turning off immediately after a split second. The newer PSU I purchased is a EVGA 100-N1-0550-L1 550 N1, 550W and my previous PSU is the EVGA GS 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply. The newer psu I just purchased does have a molex cable that my older one didn't. Is that something I have to plug into my pc? It seems to be that the newer PSU is my issue. Did I purchase an incompatible one for my rig?

Here's my PC specs~

Intel i7-4790k

Cooler master hyper 212 evo

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

JUHOR DDR3 Ram 16GB (8GBx2) 1600MHz

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

MSI GeForce GTX 970 4 GB GAMING Video Car

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 ATX Mid Tower Case

Lazyboy10

Honorable
Jun 23, 2015
Hello~

So I built my PC 5-6 years ago now and I've had no issues with it, up untill the last few months. My PSU began making an obnoxious noise and so I assumed it was dust causing the issue, but even with thorough cleaning, the noise persist. I decided to purchase a new PSU and once installed, it would power my PC on for a split second before immediately shutting off. I even did some installing and reinstalling of the old PSU and it worked completely fine. I then once again reinstalled the newer PSU and it again had the same issue of turning off immediately after a split second. The newer PSU I purchased is a EVGA 100-N1-0550-L1 550 N1, 550W and my previous PSU is the EVGA GS 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply. The newer psu I just purchased does have a molex cable that my older one didn't. Is that something I have to plug into my pc? It seems to be that the newer PSU is my issue. Did I purchase an incompatible one for my rig?

Here are my PC specs~

Intel i7-4790k

Cooler master hyper 212 evo

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

JUHOR DDR3 Ram 16GB (8GBx2) 1600MHz

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

MSI GeForce GTX 970 4 GB GAMING Video Car

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 ATX Mid Tower Case

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
While it's not the problem here, do return the new PSU as soon as you can and get something else -- you went from an solid Seasonic-made EVGA to a junk-tier one.

Anyway, back to the problem at hand. Did you test with the GPU completely removed from the system?

Lazyboy10

Honorable
Jun 23, 2015
Thanks for replying~ sorry for that. Was just trying to start the thread in the correct category.

And for what you said, that is what it seems like, I think I purchased a crappier version of my older PSU and or an older model that isn't able to support my rig. Do you have any recommendations on the best PSU I should get with my specific rig, preferably not too expensive. 😂

I have not tested turning on my PC without the Graphics card installed. What will that do?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
It's not the problem here, but it's also a junky PSU, so you don't want it in there after we hopefully resolve the issue.

When diagnosing a PC, it's best to simplify things. By completely removing the GPU, we eliminate a GPU power issue being part of the problem. Generally speaking, and if that doesn't work, then also boot with only one RAM stick and only the OS drive installed.

Reactions: Lazyboy10
Solution

Lazyboy10

Honorable
Jun 23, 2015
Alrighty, so yea. I have attempted to boot the system up without the GPU and with only 1 ram/ only the OS drive as well. Still the same issue, so Its got to be the new PSU that is causing me issues. I've already put in the return for the new PSU 😪

Have any suggestions for a different PSU on the market right now, that I should consider purchasing?

Lazyboy10

Honorable
Jun 23, 2015
I've certainly checked and made sure all cables were connected. However I will mention that the newer PSU I purchased, the cables were pretty difficult to snap in. Such as the Sata cables never felt right, compared to my older PSU where they all fit snuggly. I have installed and reinstalled both PSU's I have now at least 3 times over the course of tonight and I don't think that is the issue. :tearsofjoy: