Question My PC cannot detect a Sapphire Radeon RX 570 Nitro Plus

ChrisCov

Reputable
Feb 27, 2017
Hi,
My previous GPU has broken, so I had to replace it.
I've chosen the Sapphire Radeon RX 570 Nitro Plus that cannot be detected by my PC.
Specs:
Asus Z97-P Intel Z97 Motherboard, S1150, DDR3, PCIe 3.0 (x16), M.2, D-Sub (VGA) DVI-D HDMI, ATX
an i7
16 GB of RAM
an SSD
Corsair CX 750M

The GPU has got a 6-pin and an 8-pin power slot. The first is just for a better performance. No matter if I connect the bigger one or both, the GPU cannot be detected.
Both fans are working and the Sapphire caption is blue. The GPU got into the place with the correct click. It looks it works and is in the right place.
I tried removing the GPU and putting it back, disconnecting the 6-pin slot, setting the PCI-E as a priority in BIOS, installing AMD drivers, including the dedcated AMD auto-detect tool, removing all old drivers (the old Geforce and the latest AMD) using Display Driver Uninstaller 18.0.1.5 in the safe mode, but nothing has worked for me.
The only detected graphic adapter is the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. The GPU is connected to the monitor via a HDMI cable.

The only detected graphic adapter is the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.

Does it also say, Error CODE 43 in the Device Manager settings ? Is this a brand NEW Video card ? If you have properly installed the drivers, then it shouldn't say, "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter".

Does the GPU driver installation process complete without any interruption whatsoever? Do you have the latest BIOS installed on your system ? is the "Integrated Graphics Processor" also displayed in the Device Manager ?

Also, have you tried doing a FRESH OS install on your system ? But make sure to connect BOTH the 6 and 8-PIN PCI-E/PEG connectors to the GPU.

Last edited:
Reactions: NightHawkRMX

ChrisCov

Reputable
Feb 27, 2017
Thank you for your replies.
So, both connectors were connected during the installation process, I pulled out the 6-pin one afterwards as a test. There was not any error code while installing the GPU. There was no error code 43 in the device manager and the graphic card is brand new. I cannot see the integrated graphic processor in the DM. All I can see is the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. I tried uninstalling it, but it appeared back after the system restart.
The main board was bought in 2016, so the BIOS may need to be updated. I can do a fresh Windows 8.1 installation next week.

ChrisCov

Reputable
Feb 27, 2017
It says something totally ridiculous. Take a look:
Sapphire.jpg

Name: Microsoft Basic Display Adapter (the same name like in the Device manager) that has specs characteristic for my Sapphire GPU and it ends up being the Sapphire after I click the "Lookup" button:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/sapphire-nitro-rx-570.b4445
Still, the AMD auto installer does not detect it and the name is just weird.
An update:
I'm trying to launch World of Tanks and I'm getting a graphic card driver error.

ChrisCov

Reputable
Feb 27, 2017
I've reflashed the BIOS on the mainboard, as it does not take much time. The previous version was 2803 (released on 21/05/2015). The new is 2907 (released on 03/11/2016). It has not helped me.

Do you have a warranty on this GPU? If so, get a replacement.

Like your motherboard, your graphics card has a bios as well called the VBIOS.

I had an RX480 with a corrupt VBIOS. It showed up as Microsoft basic display adapter in device manager with error code 43 and only some things showed up in GPUZ and MSI afterburner. The driver would install fine, just like yours. I reflashed the VBIOS and it fixed the issue.

Only do this if you are sure you cant get a replacement, as this may void your warranty or permanently damage your card if the flash fails. Heres a tutorial. Even though yours doesnt have error 43, all of the other symptoms are the same as mine. This video helped me.
View: https://youtu.be/4O3udct6a3Q

ChrisCov

Reputable
Feb 27, 2017
Thank you.
I've read your post, watched another video on Youtube, downloaded Winflash:
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ati-atiflash/
and the vbios that I believe should be compatible with my GPU:
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/193372/sapphire-rx570-4096-170317
but then I re-read your edited post and concluded reflashing the vbios may be too risky, if I can return the GPU.
I'll try to do it tomorrow.
Thank you everybody for your help.
At the same time, I got a laptop with the Radeon RX 560, that is a bit slower, but can run the game, so I don't need my PC to play it.
Kind regards

Last edited:

ChrisCov

Reputable
Feb 27, 2017
It has taken over one month to get a new graphic card and the problem is the same.
The merchant refunded my money and I decided to buy a better graphic card that is an 8GB Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Nitro Plus. A brand new one and delivered from Amazon.
To my shocking surprise, the problem is exactly the same. My computer cannot detect that graphic card and I cannot install any new drivers, as an AMD auto installer does not detect a new hardware. GPU-Z produces almost the same image. The only differnce is, it's the 580 rather than the 570. It says it's the Microsoft Basic display adapter, while the correct graphic card is shown when I click the "Lookup" button.
I cannot believe I'd be sold two faulty graphic cards in a row, so is anything wrong with my BIOS or the mainboard? The BIOS was updated one month ago.