Question My PC causes internet to drop

Feb 14, 2022
Me and my partner both have our PCs connected to a ethernet hub.

Randomly the internet will drop for both of us (my pc seems to drop first by 30 seconds or so), WIFI will still work but ethernet will not work until i remove the ethernet cable connected to my pc and my partners pc will immediately have internet restored.

This may not happen for days/weeks then sometimes might happen several times in a day. Has also happened when only my PC is on and theirs is off.

What could be causing this issue, ive tried searching but cant find anyone with the same situation.

Ralston18

Titan
Check that both PCs have only one network adapter enabled. Either wired or wireless but only one network adapter per PC.

How is your network configured?

For example( with ----> indicating an Ethernet cable):

ISP ===(coax, DSL, optic) ===> Modem ---->[WAN port] Router [LAN ports] ----> wired devices and ~~~> wireless devices.

Edit and correct my line diagram as necessary. Show the device you consider as the "hub". Could be something else; a switch perhaps? Make and model?

Or other network devices that you may have.

ISP? Make and model modem? Make and model Router? Or, if combined modem/router?

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) on both your computer and your partner's computer via the Command Prompt. Post the results.

One immediate thought is to disable IPv6. IPv6 can be problematic but no immediate need to disable it now. May not even be use....

TRENDING THREADS