Question My PC died, then came back to life. How did that happen?

Mephis39

Reputable
Sep 27, 2019
  • CPU: i7 9700k
  • GPU RTX 2080 Super
  • 32GB Corsair Vegence 3600MHz
  • mobo: Z390 AORUS PRO
  • cooler: Kraken x62
  • PSU: Corsair TX650M
This past week my PC has started to spontaneously freeze.

I have a lot of uninteresting information that I could fill a few paragraphs with here, but suffice it to say that the cause of the freezing could have been an unstable overclock, or Logitech's notoriously janky Ghub software whose recent update coincided with my freezes.

Earlier today my PC froze, I hard rebooted and got a no signal message on my monitor. I removed the CMOS battery repeatedly, tried onboard and external graphics, and I went through an exhaustive series of swaps and removals between my PC and another and figured out that it was my RAM causing my issues. Then, I plugged my RAM back in one at a time to see if any of them were salvageable, and they all just worked. Now my PC's on and running well.

Does anyone know what might have happened?

Interresting case.

I don't know what may cause this. Did you at some point plugged out from mains ? I'm thinking that residual voltage from GPU could cause this, and at some point the leftover voltage somewhere (on mainboard itself or psu) went so far down to alow something to reset. But this is just guessing from me.

If this happens several times, try this:
  • You'd obviously shut the computer down, either controlled or hard shut down.
  • Unplug the computer from mains.
  • Press the PWR button (this should drain the PSU from any leftover voltage).
  • Plug the mains, and then try to power on normally.
Also, this may be an issue caused by OC, so you may want to use original clock settings again

Mephis39

Reputable
Sep 27, 2019
Interresting case.

I don't know what may cause this. Did you at some point plugged out from mains ? I'm thinking that residual voltage from GPU could cause this, and at some point the leftover voltage somewhere (on mainboard itself or psu) went so far down to alow something to reset. But this is just guessing from me.

If this happens several times, try this:
  • You'd obviously shut the computer down, either controlled or hard shut down.
  • Unplug the computer from mains.
  • Press the PWR button (this should drain the PSU from any leftover voltage).
  • Plug the mains, and then try to power on normally.
Also, this may be an issue caused by OC, so you may want to use original clock settings again
It probably was my OC, I can barely a hertz over without it dying under stress. I've never had such a bad chip.

Also I did unplug from the mains, multiple times, and even held down the powerbutton for 1 minute to drain any residual power. None of it worked.