Question My PC has a black screen and the GPU fans are spinning at maximum.

DarMR

Reputable
Aug 2, 2019
My PC turns on and boots up the system normally, but randomly, the screen may go black, the fans spin at maximum speed, and it doesn't respond at all. The system continues to work because by chance, I decided to use remote desktop to see what was happening, and I noticed that it was in a very low resolution, and the temperatures were acceptable, below 60 degrees Celsius. Anyone would think it's just a GPU driver problem. I did a clean installation with the latest drivers to see how it goes, but the problem persists. I repaired the operating system because it had some errors as a result of this issue, and it still persists. At this point, I would think it's a corrupted OS, but while I was tinkering in the BIOS, the screen also went black without changing anything; I was just looking at the BIOS settings.

So I've come to the conclusion that it's a hardware issue, and my main suspect is the power supply, as I stress-tested both the GPU and CPU for 10 minutes each (obviously individually XD), and they didn't fail at all. I ran the default Windows RAM test, and there were no problems. So, I suspect that at some point, the power supply starts to fluctuate, causing the GPU to fail. Yes, I've updated all the drivers for every device connected to my PC, and that's not the issue, even the BIOS and chipset.

I don't know what you think, but at this point, I don't know what else to do because I've tried all the solutions that have come to mind. I just need an external opinion based on your experience.

Specs
CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X
MOBO: B550 AORUS PRO AC
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2060
RAM: TEAMGROUP-UD4-3200
PSU: Corsair CX750

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"but randomly, the screen may go black, the fans spin at maximum speed, and it doesn't respond at all."

Look in Reliability History/Monitor and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, or even informational events that occur just before or at the time the problems occur.

Use both tools but just one tool at a time.

Any given error can be clicked to obtain more information and details. The details may or may not be helpful.

Start with Reliability History. User friendly and the timeline format can reveal patterns.

Event Viewer requires more time and effort navigate and understand.

To help with Event Viewer:

How To - How to use Windows 10 Event Viewer | Tom's Hardware Forum (tomshardware.com)

DarMR

Reputable
Aug 2, 2019
This:

"but randomly, the screen may go black, the fans spin at maximum speed, and it doesn't respond at all."

Look in Reliability History/Monitor and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, or even informational events that occur just before or at the time the problems occur.

Use both tools but just one tool at a time.

Any given error can be clicked to obtain more information and details. The details may or may not be helpful.

Start with Reliability History. User friendly and the timeline format can reveal patterns.

Event Viewer requires more time and effort navigate and understand.

To help with Event Viewer:

How To - How to use Windows 10 Event Viewer | Tom's Hardware Forum (tomshardware.com)
I've checked the event viewer and it doesn't say anything other than the system rebooting due to an unexpected error (critical). Do not look too deeply into repairing an OS problem because the simple fact that the error occurs even while in the bios is a clear indication that it is a hardware problem. But your recommendation is useful since it may give me a clue as to which part is the problem. Right now I took it apart and it's been in Furmark for 25 minutes and nothing has happened.