My pc has been doing windows update for 10 hours. i need to use now

Solution
You can just force it to shut down and reboot. I've had to do that to my computer on more than one occasion. It won't hurt anything, and probably the update will complete itself in a few minutes after you reboot. The update probably got stuck in a loop, and a reboot will force it out of the loop and back to installing updates.

Aspiring techie

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015
You can just force it to shut down and reboot. I've had to do that to my computer on more than one occasion. It won't hurt anything, and probably the update will complete itself in a few minutes after you reboot. The update probably got stuck in a loop, and a reboot will force it out of the loop and back to installing updates.

Solution

ESPclipse

Reputable
May 27, 2014
Did you just shutdown to update? If so, I know Windows Update will download the updates in that setting, so the speed may be dependent upon your internet service speed. I doubt that you would break anything if you just power it off, though. You may have to do a recommended system check upon reboot. In the future, I suggest downloading and trying to install updates from within the user's desktop environment. If you are in your desktop environment during the update process, you can kill it from a command window with administrative access with the command:

net stop wuauserv

and restart it with:

net start wuauserv

So if the super long update is really bothering you, I think you will be okay stopping Windows Update or manually shutting down

lilmets

Reputable
Jun 12, 2015

Ok i did it and it worked what do i do now on windows to prevent that

lilmets

Reputable
Jun 12, 2015

It didnt attempt to continue the updates it seems as if they were finished