[SOLVED] My PC have made an explosion sound and it turned off immediately

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 14, 2020
Recently I have set up my new work station. Its specs are, Corsair TX850M PSU, Gigabyte X570 Aorus PRO Motherboard, Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, Zotac 2070 Super Amp Extreme GPU, Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 SSD. Everything was running well, just like butter smooth. But suddenly yesterday afternoon there's an massive explosion sound and the PC had turned off immediately. I have checked each components of PC, there's no any trace of burning or exploding. After inspection, I have turned on my PC and it booted so nicely as nothing has been happened. But again an explosion sound has came out from my PC at night, this time it's intensity was more than the previous one and as usual PC turned off along with, I have not powered the PC till now after that incident. In fact I'm too much scared about switch it on. Please tell me what may be the possible reason of this and what should I do ? It's my assumption the PSU is the main culprit and I am worried about condition of the other components of my PC, i.e. Motherboard, CPU, GPU. Hope the PSU have not fried them up. PLEASE HELP ME !

NOTE: One more thing I forget to mention, when this thing happened, all electrical equipments (light, fan etc.) of my house was stopped for a while. It seems my PC has pulled a good amount of power and it has blacked out my house for some fraction of a second.

Last edited:
Solution
Your psu is of good quality, but even good parts can fail. Consider that possibility.
Are you using the supplied psu cables?
A defective cable can cause a short.
The sound you heard was likely not an explosion, but your speakers responding to the failure.

If your ups did not let you ride through a power problem, your ups is defective or inadequate.
One thing to check is that your electrical connections are properly grounded.

What is the make/model of your psu?
A cheap unit can cause all sorts of problems.

Jun 14, 2020
The sound you heard was likely not an explosion, but your speakers responding to the failure.

If your ups did not let you ride through a power problem, your ups is defective or inadequate.
One thing to check is that your electrical connections are properly grounded.

What is the make/model of your psu?
A cheap unit can cause all sorts of problems.
Corsair TX850M PSU

Jun 16, 2020
Hi Anupam,

Exactly the same thing happened to my computer 2 days ago. I have a Corsair TX550M. I've just posted in the forum, you can follow my post for replies as well. For now, I recommend taking the PSU out of the machine and testing it with a paperclip to bridge the pins, you should be able to find instructions on the internet. At least you can diagnose and replace if the PSU is dead.

James

Status
Not open for further replies.