[SOLVED] My PC internet speed (LAN cable) is slower than my phone & playstation on WiFi

Apr 6, 2020
Hi there,

I have been consistently getting a max of 10mbps on my PC, which is connected direct;y to my router with a LAN cable. This is much MUCH slower than the speeds I should be getting.

I downloaded a game on my ps4 the other day, and the download speed was hitting around 50-60 mbs. My PS4 is connected (by Wi-Fi) to the exact same Router.

I went on to an internet speed checker site ( https://www.speedtest.net/ ) and compared the results for my PC and for my mobile (also on Wi-Fi & 4G switched off).
1. PC (LAN cable):
  • Ping 9ms
  • Download 9.45 mbps

2. Mobile phone (Wi-Fi):
  • Ping 11ms
  • Download 101.18mbps!!!

I typed - wmic NIC where "NetEnabled='true'" get "Name","Speed" - into the windows command prompt on my PC. It returned a speed of 10000000 (I assume bytes - so 10MB)

From the above I am assuming I have a setting somewhere which is limiting my speed, but it wasn't obvious when i went poking around in the BIOS. Or maybe the LAN cable (I haven't seen much online to indicate that a LAN cable would limit my internet speeds like that though, right?)?

My machine uses a Tomohawk B450 Max motherboard.

Can anyone help me to solve this issue?

Many thanks in advance

Apr 6, 2020
I tried the links you suggested and I got improved results, but still not as much of an improvement as I'd like. And I am now a little more confused than I was previously...

1. I updated the LAN driver from the MSI website and now my PC download speed is running at about 16-17Mbps (almost twice as fast as before), based on another test on the same site as before ( speedtest.net )

2. I then went to Settings > Network & Internet > Ethernet > Change adapter options > [right click] Status. Here I can see that speed is set to 100.0mbps (so more than 5 times greater than what I am seeing)
2.1 Interestingly, it also says that my IPv6 Connectivity has No network access. would this be having a potential impact on my current download speeds?

3. I then went to Settings > Network & Internet > Ethernet > Change adapter options > [right click] Properties > Configure > Advanced tab. I selected the property "Speed & Duplex" and changed the value FROM Auto Negotiation TO 100mbps full duplex. I tested my speeds several times ( speedtest.net ) and mostly I returned speeds ranging from 16-19mbps. I did the same thing after switching the value to 1.0Gbps and I got largely the same results (2 outliers during testing though: 34 Mbps & 22Mbps down speeds with 1gbps).

Are there any other settings or drivers which might require some updating?

I think I am going to order another LAN cable to see if that fixes at least a part of the issue. Can you suggest a trusted brand?

Thanks

Apr 6, 2020
Turns out the last little bit of issue was caused by ..... Virgin media! So now I have stable down speeds of 90+Mbps on my PC :D

Thank you again for the useful links, I really did need to update my driver, as it increased the max capacity on my PC from 10 to 100.

NB: I was told by an adviser at Virgin Media that routers require a turn off & on again every few weeks. Otherwise it creates interference and drastically slows your speeds. I imagine this is a sort of cache which needs clearing.

All the best

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Routers don't require resets. ISP's require you reset the modem. They send the ping, but modems don't answer except when you reset and the modem queries the ISP for connection. So that creates a log in the cache that needs periodic refresh. When you consider the millions of people using Comcast or AT&T for an ISP, they have to have some way of verification that you are a paid user and not someone using a neighbors hookup.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Depends Alot on the ISP. I had Comcast for years, with their supplied routers because they kept upping the bandwidth and dl speeds until it was far larger than what my little Belkin could handle. I'd clear it every month because of backlog pings. Never had to shut down my Asus N66U router. I've had to do the same with AT&T because mother-in-law's TV kept dropping Wi-Fi and she'd miss her 'shows'.....