[SOLVED] My pc is crashing with solid colour screen under load! Any Fix???

danyuzunov

Reputable
Jul 27, 2020
Suddenly my pc started crashing under big graphical load and i thought it was the psu (Dont ask why) so i upgraded my psu from 450W 80+ bronze zalman one to Airocool Lux RGB 750W 80+ Bronze but it didnt fix the problem and something interesting: on Unigine Superposition its crashing in the middle of the benchmark on high but it completes it on Extreame (on 1080p) with 2300 score I DONT FREACKING KNOW WHY!
Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
Mobo: Asus A320m-k
GPU: Asus ROG Strix rx 480 8gb
Ram: Corsair vengeance 2400mhz Clocked on 2933mhz (The clock isnt the problem it started happening before i overclock the ram)
PSU: Airocool Lux RGB 750W 80+ Bronze
HDD: Old Seagete 500gb one
SSD: EMTEC 120gb
Case: Zalman S3
Thinks that i tried in order to fix the problem: Tested every part on its own and everything was alright but Unigine Superposition couldnt run on that pc and it didnt have any hard to run games and i tried unigine heaven on max 1080p and after 40-50 mins it crashes but it crashes with the last displayed frame and not with solid colour! I tried many drivers and with clean boot but it still was the same.

Solution
ok i am lil bit scared that i will mess something up cuz i dont understand what i am suppose to do
You've already test your gpu, you know it's the culprit and it's showing signs of failure.
Undervolting and under clocking is simply an effort to extend its lifetime. You can do this via wattman in the radeon settings. you can also use msi afterburner to decrease or increase the power available to the gpu. Sometimes the instability is also caused by not enough power or too much power drawn. It's a real bunch of maybes with this one. I'd start with msi afterburner, decrease the power limit by 20%.

If it still is crashing, I'd go into wattman and drop the core clock by 100mhz to 1200mhz.

danyuzunov

Reputable
Jul 27, 2020
You upgraded from a trash psu to another trash psu.

What are your temperatures for the cpu+gpu?

Have you tried the gpu in a different pc or a different gpu?
If not, or you can't, try underclocking and undervolting the video card.
Can u first read the whole thread and then reply and what trash psu means for u cuz here in Bulgaria to give 70$ for psu for mid range pc is ok and is actually rare thing!

danyuzunov

Reputable
Jul 27, 2020
Remove all OC settings. Make sure everything is at stock speed, setting memory to 2133. We need a stable baseline to start from.

Is the system stable at stock?

If not, test your memory with a tool like memtest.
I have never OCed the card + i have tested everything in other pc and only the gpu kept making problem but it was lil bit different problem read the last couple lines of my thread

danyuzunov

Reputable
Jul 27, 2020
Remove all OC settings. Make sure everything is at stock speed, setting memory to 2133. We need a stable baseline to start from.

Is the system stable at stock?

If not, test your memory with a tool like memtest.
And can u explain the situation with the benchmark cuz idk how is that happening

Can u first read the whole thread and then reply and what trash psu means for u cuz here in Bulgaria to give 70$ for psu for mid range pc is ok and is actually rare thing!
I did read the entire post, the aerocool lux is trash as it uses inferior components, uses a dated topology(group regulated) and will inherently perform poorly due to it being group regulated.

In your region, decent power supplies start at ~95лв, with a bequiet system power 9.
Tested every part on its own and everything was alright
This doesn't answer my question, all it says is that you probably ran the pc with minimum components. If it means you tested all the components in a different pc, then please, state that.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
And can u explain the situation with the benchmark cuz idk how is that happening
We simply don't know what your issue is yet. That is why I recommended setting a stable baseline before troubleshooting.

These types of issues are often heat and/or power related. They can also be caused by defective memory, Windows corruption, bad drivers, etc. To start troubleshooting, it is best to do so from a good state.

danyuzunov

Reputable
Jul 27, 2020
We simply don't know what your issue is yet. That is why I recommended setting a stable baseline before troubleshooting.

These types of issues are often heat and/or power related. They can also be caused by defective memory, Windows corruption, bad drivers, etc. To start troubleshooting, it is best to do so from a good state.
Ok i know its the gpu because after testing it in other pc it crashed sooo

danyuzunov

Reputable
Jul 27, 2020

And if u remember i wrote that the benchmark crashes on high but not and on extreme

danyuzunov

Reputable
Jul 27, 2020
I did read the entire post, the aerocool lux is trash as it uses inferior components, uses a dated topology(group regulated) and will inherently perform poorly due to it being group regulated.

In your region, decent power supplies start at ~95лв, with a bequiet system power 9.

This doesn't answer my question, all it says is that you probably ran the pc with minimum components. If it means you tested all the components in a different pc, then please, state that.
Ye mine costed 130лев from ecenter and ye i tested them in different pc and i got that psu cuz i like rgb stuff sorry

Last edited:

danyuzunov

Reputable
Jul 27, 2020

And the test pc had seasonic focus plus 750W 80+ Gold . The test pc is actually one friend's pc
Specs:
Cpu: ryzen 5 3600x
Mobo: b450 ASRock steel legend
Ram: 2x8 3600mhz Kingston hyperX predator
Psu: i said
Ssd: idk
Hdd:idk
Case: i forgot
Gpu: rtx 2060s

Last edited:
Alright, so since the gpu was tested in a different system and is showing signs of failure, it'd help to know if it's failing from heat or just a random failure. So I'd like to know what the temps are for the gpu, as I asked originally. If they are nominal, then you can try undervolting+underclocking the gpu as well as that sometimes extends the lifespan. Undervolting is more prevalent on the rx480 as it had issues running at too high voltages in the past....I think.

mine costed 130лев
That's unfortunate, as the aerocool lux is not a good psu. Money spent isn't an indication of quality, there are plenty of garbage psu's that are expensive and worthless. After all, the bequiet 9 is only 98лв but is better then the aerocool.

I understand that the psu isn't at fault here, but a group regulated unit tends to have crossload problems which can cause early failure in pc parts. Group regulated units regulate the rail voltage with the 5v, 3.3v, and 12v regulated in a group. When there is a high load or low load on one of the rails, it will adjust by lowering or raising the voltage on the other rails. So, is it possible that your old psu had been running at a voltage lower then the gpu can handle and the damage has since been done? maybe. Just be sure moving forward to research the quality of a psu first before.

danyuzunov

Reputable
Jul 27, 2020
And the test pc had seasonic focus plus 750W 80+ Gold . The test pc is actually one friend's pc
Alright, so since the gpu was tested in a different system and is showing signs of failure, it'd help to know if it's failing from heat or just a random failure. So I'd like to know what the temps are for the gpu, as I asked originally. If they are nominal, then you can try undervolting+underclocking the gpu as well as that sometimes extends the lifespan. Undervolting is more prevalent on the rx480 as it had issues running at too high voltages in the past....I think.

That's unfortunate, as the aerocool lux is not a good psu. Money spent isn't an indication of quality, there are plenty of garbage psu's that are expensive and worthless. After all, the bequiet 9 is only 98лв but is better then the aerocool.

I understand that the psu isn't at fault here, but a group regulated unit tends to have crossload problems which can cause early failure in pc parts. Group regulated units regulate the rail voltage with the 5v, 3.3v, and 12v regulated in a group. When there is a high load or low load on one of the rails, it will adjust by lowering or raising the voltage on the other rails. So, is it possible that your old psu had been running at a voltage lower then the gpu can handle and the damage has since been done? maybe. Just be sure moving forward to research the quality of a psu first before.
Ok i got stupid psu but its not problem now!
Ok i will try what ur advising but now its really late at night (2am) so i will tell u the results tommorow and the temps are normally around 72-75 Celsius under load which i think is normal

danyuzunov

Reputable
Jul 27, 2020

ok i am lil bit scared that i will mess something up cuz i dont understand what i am suppose to do

You've already test your gpu, you know it's the culprit and it's showing signs of failure.
Undervolting and under clocking is simply an effort to extend its lifetime. You can do this via wattman in the radeon settings. you can also use msi afterburner to decrease or increase the power available to the gpu. Sometimes the instability is also caused by not enough power or too much power drawn. It's a real bunch of maybes with this one. I'd start with msi afterburner, decrease the power limit by 20%.

If it still is crashing, I'd go into wattman and drop the core clock by 100mhz to 1200mhz.

Solution

danyuzunov

Reputable
Jul 27, 2020
Okoj

Ok i will try

Aug 10, 2020
Graphics cards are internally fast PCs with their own private memory not available to your operating system. A bad bit in your GPU could crash the one test but not the other because different memory is accessed. It takes hours to run a full memtest so you won't. Possibly since this only happens with one program and one benchmark it could be a faulty code interacting with faulty driver code (wrong video driver). The problem is gpu or gpu driver losing control of frame buffer on video card (you didn't tell us what solid color so assuming its not blue).

danyuzunov

Reputable
Jul 27, 2020
Graphics cards are internally fast PCs with their own private memory not available to your operating system. A bad bit in your GPU could crash the one test but not the other because different memory is accessed. It takes hours to run a full memtest so you won't. Possibly since this only happens with one program and one benchmark it could be a faulty code interacting with faulty driver code (wrong video driver). The problem is gpu or gpu driver losing control of frame buffer on video card (you didn't tell us what solid color so assuming its not blue).
Nope its not only one game or benchmark its in every graphically hard to run program! And sorry for being afk for more then week

Aug 10, 2020
The framebuffer is in the GPU. The GPU wrote a solid color to the framebuffer, perhaps in error, or per CPU command (unlikely, unless driver issue. ) Most all PCs have/get intermittent memory bits. Severity increases as memory chip gets hot, or memory is used alot, or "in a bad location"(like where critical drivers reside).